Dressed To Kill (1946)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sergio A, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

Just read a review of the last (and least) of the Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films which Fox has issued under the title PRELUDE TO MURDER at the DVD Review website (http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/DVD/2012.shtml)- there is a separate Colorized version included and the reviewer has obviously not seen the excellent MPI releases, saying that they have never seen a good version on DVD before.

Has anyone else seen this release yet?

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I doubt that many would around here, since most serious fans of the Holmes/Rathbone films have already purchased the MPI releases which I don't think Fox can top. The MPI releases also have audio commentary.

Crawdaddy

3. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

Why would FOX put this out, when they have licensed it to MPI?
    I hope this doesn't hurt the MPI releases. They are outstanding, and no COLORIZATION!

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Fox didn't license this to MPI as they don't own the film.

This title is one of the 4 public domain Holmes movies which anyone can release although only MPI has access to the UCLA restorations which are excellent (including for this title).

Incidentally, MPI is repackaging the 14 Holmes DVDs into a single set that is supposed to be released towards the end of the year. No word on price, but an additional audio commentary is being added for this film that features the female lead, Patricia Morrison, who is probably the last surviving lead actor in any of the Holmes movies.

My advice is to save your money and don't support these Fox colorized abominations.

Steve

5. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Hard to believe that a major studio has to resort to public domain titles to round out its releases. I
    suspect that we could come up with a number of titles that Fox could release.