What's new

Dredd (2012)...WOW! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to try it tonight on both my Oppo and Sony 790. So what should I look out for? Any specific glitches at certain timepoints (and if so, what times)? Or it just won't play at all?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
I'm going to try it tonight on both my Oppo and Sony 790. So what should I look out for? Any specific glitches at certain timepoints (and if so, what times)? Or it just won't play at all?
Mine just wouldn't load at all. In the OPPO it just said Disc Unrecognized and spit it out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay well I watched about the first ten minutes (then had to leave for a friend's house) on my Oppo 93 and so far so good...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally exchanged my copy at BBY and so far everything looks fine with the replacement -- bad disc or bad batch, but it's a disc issue and not a player problem

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I had a blast watching this a few days ago. Fun movie. And I wouldn't say it's oppressingly grim. There are bits of humor here and there and the movie is rather colorful (as opposed to dark and monochrome as these movies typically are).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So I picked this up earlier this week, knowing I was getting 3D glasses for my 50" Panny Plasma when my tax refund arrived. After some intitial tweaking that took me to almost midnight last night (more setup to do with my new Onkyo receiver this weekend. I popped this in to test out the 3D glasses and... WOW! An extremely impressive use of 3D, and the audio is amazing. I actually had to turn my sub down because of the sheer power of the 7.1 track. Definitely demo material.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chuck Anstey said:
However, the 3D is awful. This movie really does have that pop-up book look that so many mention that I personally rarely see in 3D movies, not that I have them all. Everything in the image was flat except when the entire image was CGI or closeup shots of Anderson's (Olivia Thirlby) face. Did they shoot this through a 1000mm lens from 500 feet? It also was not very good at integrating the CGI and real world image to give a reasonable 3D look. Finally there was lots of fog and fake film grain / grittiness that can cause all kinds of issues when trying to see the image as 3D such as you can see the fake grain as a 2D transparency at the screen plane. I must give the director props for actually trying to use 3D as part of the framing. When using slo-mo or Anderson inside someone's mind, in addition to the usual tricks, the 3D was also manipulated to add to the sense of unreality to reasonable effect. I look forward to a sequel, not that one is likely.
Stephen_J_H said:
So I picked this up earlier this week, knowing I was getting 3D glasses for my 50" Panny Plasma when my tax refund arrived. After some intitial tweaking that took me to almost midnight last night (more setup to do with my new Onkyo receiver this weekend. I popped this in to test out the 3D glasses and... WOW! An extremely impressive use of 3D, and the audio is amazing. I actually had to turn my sub down because of the sheer power of the 7.1 track. Definitely demo material.
Well that clears it up for me. The 3D is awful...no its WOW! An extremely impressive use of 3D. You say po-tay-to he says paw-taw-to.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I actually saw Dredd is 3D in the theater. My memory tells me it was "in the face" and used to good effect, especially with all the falling and blood.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
The 3D for the Blu-ray was definitely in front of screen much of the time but that, by itself, is insufficient for me to claim the 3D was great. The other difference is the size of the screen. I have an 8' wide screen and overall 3D looks different than on a TV.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chuck Anstey said:
The 3D for the Blu-ray was definitely in front of screen much of the time but that, by itself, is insufficient for me to claim the 3D was great. The other difference is the size of the screen. I have an 8' wide screen and overall 3D looks different than on a TV.
So are you saying the 3D is worse on a larger screen?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
All I'm saying is that it is different. It might be better or worse depending on your personal preferences for FOV, amount of depth, both forward and back. In my personal experience, good 3D always looks better the larger it gets. My favorite 3D movies (for the 3D) looked even better when going from 8' wide to 10.5' wide. Maybe what I consider bad 3D looks better smaller as it hides the issues better. However my complaints about the 3D in Dredd should have nothing to with general size except that a larger size may make it much more apparent that most of the 3D has the cardboard cutout look, which none of my other live action 3D movies have except maybe here or there. Also the haze / gritty 2D transparency look may be more apparent at the large size because of the greater apparent 3D depth of the larger image.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Finally got around to watching Dredd this afternoon.

Turned it off 56 minutes in.

The 3D was fine. Not overly great, but lots of depth.

The problem was, I just wasn't getting into the film. It just seemed
like "B" level entertainment at best.

No big loss as the Blu-ray cost under $10.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Following my two returns of the disc to Amazon because of the defect, I thought about the bits I'd already seen and came to the same conclusion. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wow, really? I wouldn't call it a classic or anything, but I enjoyed it and certainly would not have thought to bail on it in the middle. Granted, I only turn a movie off if it's TRULY excruciatingly bad. And Dredd is the sort of extra-bloody movie that you have to be in the right mood to watch.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
First impressions aside, I've now watched Dredd about 10x (2 in 3D, the rest in 2D on a mobile device while waiting for other things to happen), and I love it. Karl Urban's performance is spot on, as is Lena Headey's as Ma-Ma. Maybe it' s because I'm cynical from years working in the criminal justice system, but it pushes all the right buttons for me. Also, the supporting actors are solid, with a particularly excellent turn by Domhnall Gleeson as the Ma-Ma clan tech guy. He's one of the most sympathetic characters in the film. Give it another chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks