Dreamworks Will Officially Release "Ringu" March 4th (Same day as re-make)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gabe Sigler, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Gabe Sigler

Gabe Sigler Stunt Coordinator

1:78:1 (Anamorphic)
    DD 5.1 (Original Japanese)
    The only extra is the film's trailer.
    Still good news for those of us without region-free players!

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Good to hear. I think I'll pick it up based on the very positive comments in the Movie thread.

I wonder if they'll be using the response of Ringu to consider releasing the other Ring films?

3. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I already have this on DVD, but I think its a bootleg, and I'll be picking up the R1. RINGU and THE RING are two of my favorite films of all time, and are both classics in my eyes! Can't wait to pick them up!

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

THEY"RE BOTH CALLED "THE RING"!

At least Dreamworks is respecting OSL, you hear that Miramax? Good Job Dreamworks! 1 sale, coming right up!

5. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

The RING DVD that's going around is indeed a bootleg, taken off of the PAL DVD. The new release is a cause for celebration for more reasons than one, because that disc seriously needed to be remastered (it was taken off a film print and the subtitles were burned in).

6. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

DreamWorks is definately the Lord of "The Ring"s! [​IMG]

7. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I found the remake thoroughly mediocre but the concept still had promise, so at the very least I'll give the original Japanese version a rental.

8. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I'll get the original RINGU to add to my growing Japanese horror collection, and if Dreamworks really do release a proper 16x9 print with no glitches and fully uncut, they have my eternal gratitude. It's great to see them actually releasing something that they bought the rights to, as opposed to Disney who seemingly want to stretch out the wait of the various Studio Ghibli movies to a half decade or more. I haven't seen the remake - I've read good and bad things about it - but I'll probably give it a rental at some point.

9. Jeff Kleist

I honestly think that right after the Oscars you'll see Disney mount their Ghibli campaign. Spirited Away is a shoo-in for animated feature. I'll be shocked if we don't have Kiki by June, Castle in the Sky by fall

10. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Well, I guess I can go ahead and get this one as well.

11. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

I caught the remake and enjoyed it, but wasn't for sure if it was a 'buy' or not.
    However, if Dreamworks does come through on the original then I'll pick them both up [​IMG]
    Todd B

12. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

13. Jeff Kleist

Porco would more than likely come out in the second wave, given that there is not a pre-existing star-studded US dub for it like there is for Laputa

I actually hope for the most part they use the HK(legit) cover art, so far I've liked it much better for Laputa, Spirted Away and Kiki. I can't wait to replace my Kiki and Totoro with copies that are actually decent (freaking bad mastering and no replacement outside of region, grrrrr)

14. ChrisJefferys

Yeah, I have the Japanese DVD of Spirited Away, and am definitely not impressed with the cover art (and lets not get started on the damn red tint). But I'm not holding out much hope for the Disney discs having better artwork (Princess Monanoke's cover was not that great).

Actually, I'll probably just break down and get the Japan Porco Rosso disc. (why do English speaking anime fans translate Akai no Buta as Porco Rosso instead of Red Pig?)

15. Jeff Kleist

Actually it's Kurenai no Buta.

The official title of the film is Porco Rosso, the Kanji translation from Italian being Kurenai no Buta. Miyazaki is very enamored with European design and culture (as evidenced in films like Kiki, Laputa etc)

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

17. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Yes, of course it translates to RING, but I simply prefer calling it RINGU. Actually, I bounce back and forth between the two ways you say it. Just check my horror tournament. [​IMG] March 4th will easily be one of the best days of 2003 for me! [​IMG]

18. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

I didn't think I could have been any happier about the American version being released on March 4 until I came on here and saw the news! And what excellent news it is indeed! Thumbs up to the fine folks at DreamWorks for releasing the original![​IMG]

19. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

I know I'm going off topic again, but Porco Rosso is the name Studio Ghibli gave to the movie for kurenai no buta...which translates to Crimson Pig. The Spirited Away R2 DVD cover art is not bad, but I don't think this is the definitive because they haven't released a multi-disk version out yet like they have with their other titles. So, when Buena Vista Japan redoes the R2 DVD, they will most likely slap on a better cover art.
    Anyway, Ring, Ring 0 and Ring 2 would be interesting to be imported here. Actually what Dreamworks should do is commission a translator to translate the 4-5 novels the movie is based off of. The novels are much better and not as freaky as the movie but more scientific in nature (and you'll see why).

20. ChrisJefferys

Thanks guys for clearing up the Porco Rosso titling (sorry I got this thread off topic). Also, don't know if the R2 Spirited Away is definitive, but it is multi disc (2 disc anyway). Still, it would be nice if Buena Vista Japan does a corrected version (which they should!), they could make a better cover.

To get back on topic, I was thinking about the simultaneous release of the Japanese and US versions of the Ring. I hope Dreamworks is really careful in their promotion and packaging so that the average consumer doesn't get confused and pick up the Japanese version thinking its the US one. People complain now about the confusion between fullscreen and widescreen packaging. Could you imagine the horror of some mainstream viewer realizing he bought a foreign film by mistake, and it has (gasp!) subtitles!