What's new

DreamWorks to release Shark Tale 18 weeks after cinemas, a race to beat Incredibles? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I know it came out a month before The Incredibles but 18 weeks is slightly shorter than normal for big grossing movies and with Disney announcing their DVD in time for Easter, possibly March 22nd, it looks like DreamWorks may have done this to save them being close together.

details courtesy of thedigitalbits.com:-

(SRP $29.99). Look for separate anamorphic widescreen and full frame versions, with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras will include audio commentary, a number of behind-the-scenes featurettes (including The Music of Shark Tale, Club Oscar and Fishified World), a music video, Rough Waters (tech goofs) and Star Fish (meet the cast) segments, numerous set top games, DVD-ROM activities and more

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
sorry, just realised I didn't mention the release date but I'm sure those interested will have gone to thedigitalbits, it's out Feb 8th.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Shark Tale came out before The Incredibles, it is not so odd that the DVD of Shark Tale would come out before the DVD of The Incredibles.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The placement of a forced trailer for this on the Shrek 2 DVD has already guaranteed that I will never see this movie.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
This might beat the Incredibles to DVD, although what Ernest said is exactly correct....but hey at least it will have beat the Incredibles at something right?

I'll probably pick this up, but I hate forced trailers even if they are for films I might want to see.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Yes, having a forced trailer for this shoved in my face on the Shrek 2 DVD is what pushed me to pass on this.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
We can read.

"It looks like DreamWorks may have done this to save them being close together."

Maybe. Maybe they were eyeing February all along. Who knows? Should we speculate on the speculation? Shark Tale came out in theaters before The Incredibles, now it is coming to DVD before The Incredibles.

But, if we accept that DreamWorks wanted to avoid streeting a title in the same general month as a Pixar title, that is only common sense, isn't it? I don't think it infers a fear of Pixar or superiority of one to the other, it is just good business sense to avoid the glut. Bambi: Platinum Edition is coming out the beginning of March as well. DreamWorks probably wouldn't want to street on that date, either.

In the end, everyone who wants to buy either Shark Tale, Bambi, or The Incredibles, or all three, or none of the above, will proabbly do so regardless of street date. If Shark Tale sells more units than Bambi or The Incredibles, or The Incredibles more units than Shark Tale and Bambi -- it won't make a lick of difference to me. I don't own stock in Disney or DreamWorks or Pixar. I just love great filmmaking, so two of these will be bought the minute they street. The other -- maybe I'll see on late night cable some day.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I knew your true feelings would finally be known Ernest!

Seriously though, the fact that the title of this thread makes a reference to beating the Incredibles, the question is what is it going to beat the Incredibles to? Sure, it might be on DVD quicker...but it had better be since it had a month head start in theaters.

Ernest is right, there are people who will buy these 3 titles he mentioned regardless of when they street and I'm not sure what the point was to mentioning the Incredibles in the thread title if one willingly admits that the comparison they hoped to make is invalid?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks