Dreamworks Stock Down on Lackluster DVD Sales of Shrek2 and Shark Tale

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Rob Tomlin, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

I don't know that the sales boom is dying just yet.

I am, however, *very* curious about those class-action lawsuits and insider-trading questions.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Serves 'em right for putting forced trailers on both those discs. I didn't buy Shark Tale because of that, and I'll never see Madagascar because of the forced trailer for it on my Shrek 2 disc. I have better things to spend my time and money on than companies that think so little of their customers.

4. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

The question may be whether unrealistic sales figures were
    used to pump up the stocks. Then you sell your shares before the real sales figures come out.

5. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

6. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

This even had a full page in the UK's Daily Telegraph business section yesterday.

They said it was not just Dreamworks but also Pixar with Incredibles, suffering for lower than expected sales and high returns.

I agree with comments above was it due to very unrealistic sales estimates from the companies, possibly because they were hyping up sales estimates to boost the share sales.

It depends how they set the estimates they seem too high as DVD sales are still increasing. Were they based on Finding Nemo as that sold very well (I think Incredibles is less).

Another reason for Dreamworks may be their failure to produce a decent special edition (unlike Pixar). I refused to buy Shrek 2 as I felt it was very overpriced for what you got. I tend to now only buy DVDs of recent films if they come as a featured packed multidisk SE. I have been burnt too many times with frequent rereleases.

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

For as much as I love movies, I feel absolutely no sympathy for any movie studio complaining about not making enough money.

This is a multi-billion dollar industry in which every year, more and more filth is being churned out as sequels, remakes, no creativity, etc.

And, then they have the nerve to complain about theater and DVD sales that aren't HIGHER than they were last year. [​IMG]

8. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I agree with this... I didn't like Shrek 2 quite as much as the original, but I might've bought it IF they put out a 2 disc edition like the set they did with Shrek. If they did that, I might've bought it. Forced trailers are also a big no no with me as well.

Do it right Pixar, Dreamworks, or any studio, and you will get our money.

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    could it be the quality of the films itself? Shrek 2 wasn't terrible, but Sharks Tale was shit, actually most of Dreamworks animation product (and product is really a good description of it) comes off as Pixars less talented retarded brother. Maybe people aren't rushing to the stores to get these titles?

Pixar being down with "The Incredibles" doesn't really surprise me either. This film had alot more serious tone than most of the other Pixar films, maybe it doesn't gibe as well with the soccer mom/ J6P crowd?

Or maybe it's a case that there is such a flood of kid friendly DVDs, that parents have more choices to buy something for the kids and are choosing what they think is better quality fare like "the Pacifier" instead of "Sharks Tale"?

By the way,I'm kidding about Pacifier being a quality film, seriously, if I had kids, I wouldn't let them watch half of the shit that's being marketed to them.

10. Josh Simpson

Russell, tell us how you really feel. [​IMG] In all actuality, I am not exactly rushing out to get these titles either, regardless of the dvd content, but I was a bit surprised about Incredibles not selling as well as they hoped. Has to be expectations are too big or something...

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think it's partly that. I also think that now that DVD is more commonplace, the average consumer doesn't feel the need to run right out and buy a DVD like when their player was a new toy to them.

Or maybe people look at their collections and think of how few of those movies they've actually re-watched and that's curbed people's buying. How many people on this board say that they buy alot of movies watch them once and never look at them again?

As someone else said earlier, I don't feel sorry for a company that is making millions but says that they didn't make enough millions[​IMG]

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell

Great point! Who cares if their profits go down when they squeeze out turds like "Shark Tales"?

Seriously, I am dissapointed that Incredibles didn't do better, too me, it was the first "adult" Pixar movie, and seemed like a really great step in the right direction for Hollywood animation. I love the other Pixar titles as well, which are just really solid story telling that is really non-age specific, but Incredibles seemed mopre mature to me. I can see kids not getting it as much, and just waiting for the action to start. I know that the kids in the theater when I saw it where pretty quiet compared to the other Pixar films.

Dreamworks made some decent films, well "Prince Of Egypt" was, I thought, pretty okay, but most of their current stuff is just pop culture jokes done to animation with little regard to story. Mad Magazine does this better. It was clever in Shrek, it's overdone in Shrek 2 (an un-neccesary cash in sequel) and Shark Tale (an un-neccesary fish movie) was done better and first in "finding Nemo"). I wont see "Madagascar", as it looks like more of the same. And don't get me started on "Ice Age", which I think is Fox, but they should be just as embarrased.

Okay, I'll go take my happy pills now...[​IMG]

13. Josh Simpson

I loved The Incredibles, and ordered it from deepdiscountdvd with their 20% off sale, so hey, I did my part. I agree with you guys though, as for looking at movies and not rewatching a lot of them... I think I'm only buying movies I really love now, such as classic film as opposed to buying whatever movie comes along because it looks/sounds great or has cool extras. I have plenty of great looking and sounding movies and lots of cool extras. In fact, I might sell off a few, but these days the buying has gone down a bit. Maybe others are doing the same.

14. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I've lost a lot of respect for Dreamworks over the years. They seem to be doing more and more under handed things each year.

They release Shrek on DVD the same day as Monsters Inc. hits theatres. They repeat this again with Shrek 2 and The Incredibles. Sure business is business but those kind of tactics just show a lack of respect, especially to a studio that made 3D animated features what they are today.

Now talk of the insider trading...

Kinda hard to feel sorry for a studio that sells over 12 million DVD's in the first 3 days.

15. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Come on, these are BUSINESSES. Do you really expect them to show "respect" to a competitor? I don't see anything wrong with their "tactics".

You make it sound like Dreamworks shot Bambi or something. :wink:

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Most of the major studios seem to be totally out-of-touch with the economic realities facing the average consumer.

I don't understand how they can predict such high sales figures or, at the box office, expect revenues to automatically increase every year when the average family is dealing with level or falling wages along with higher prices on most of life's necessities.

Most business go through a cyclical phase of up and down. Unless Hollywood revenue goes up, up, up all the time, it seems they're all weeping in their champagne. It doesn't help that the press goes right along with them, buying the "slump" angle hook, line, and sinker.

Hollywood needs a dose of economic reality.

17. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

No. But I've heard from a very reliable source that they were responsible for shooting Bambi's MOTHER! [​IMG]

18. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

OOPS!

:b :b

19. Josh Simpson

I know the problem... expensive fuel cutting into dvd sales! Ok, I'm kidding, but I've sure been hearing a lot about it lately.. it gets a bit old. I agree though.. Hollywood could use some economic reality.

20. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

That's what I said, business is business but those kind of deliberate tactics show me exactly what type of company they are. Guess it is too much for me to think that some people actually have a mutual respect for one another. [​IMG]