Dreamwork's SHREK

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elbert Lee, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

May 24, 2000
    I was able to get to my sample copy tonight. When the film was released theatrically, I was only able to watch the first half. So, it was great to finish it. I didn't get to the extras.
    First thing that I noticed was that the keepcase was different. Unlike the Gladiator case, the inner flap was disc size and faced inward toward disc 2. Therefore, when the case was opened, both Disc 1 and Disc 2 were facing each other. There's a DD 5.1 soundtrack on Disc 1, which featured the full frame version of the film. There's a DTS AND DD5.1 sound track on disc 2.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to play it on my reference system (ISF calibrated with prog. scan H1000 player). I had to view it on a bedroom system: Toshiba interlaced 3109 dvd, Toshiba 32" SVHS analog display, Denon Avr 4800 and NHT 2.5i system with an M&K MX700 sub).
    Video was superb. None of the occasional "flickering" one gets with most dvds if paying close attention. Even the FBI warning was stable. As expected, the direct digital transfer is evident and, I suspect, if it didn't have an equally vibrant color pallette as Toy Story, it can easily be the ultimate reference.
    I watched the movie in DTS, but switched to DD in the begining to notice any differences. As expected, I liked the DTS just a bit more. THe opening pop musical number benefited exhibited more refined bass and mids and more open treble. Ambiance was excellent with subtle and aggressive use of the surrounds. Personally, I thought it was better than the Gladiator soundtrack, which sounded just slightly sloppy to my ears.
    Didn't get to the extras (not my cup of tea). I do, however, suspect that there will be easter eggs. The menu had a logo that would appear when I selected certain options. I can't help but think that the producers of this dvd was having a lot of fun. The soundbites are hilarious.
  2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Jan 8, 1999
    Elbert, make it you duty for Shrek's supplements to be your cup of tea, and a jolly good cup they make too. It's important no one cast aside disc 1 deeming it the kids disc either, all the real fun is in disc 1's extras.
    Nice to finally get more hands on after what we saw of the disc at Dreamworks on the LA meet last month. I'll be popping back with thoughts over the weekend, Monday latest.
    Dan (UK)
    [Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 20, 2001 at 03:23 AM]
  3. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Apr 1, 2001
    You know what I really want to know? If the disc's MSRP is actually $19.95. I seriously doubt it is, and believe that to be the MAP, but if it is.......well, that will tip me overboard into the "buying it" crowd [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Tom Ryan on October 20, 2001 at 03:44 AM]
  4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Dec 9, 1998
    I believe that most people in the States will have little trouble finding this dvd for $17.99 or $18.99 in most brick and mortar stores.
    Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
    [Edited last by Robert Crawford on October 20, 2001 at 05:03 AM]
  5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

May 6, 1999
    Carl III
    The msrp is no joke, they are all but giving this one away. Blockbuster is offering Shrek and a 10-week Free Rental card for only $25.
  6. Mariano

Mariano Agent

Sep 28, 1999
    I know it's not important for all of you, but someone told me that Shrek has Spanish subtitles in both versions and all the extras, and also a Spanish 5.1 track.
    Is that true ??
    I have it on pre-order and i will buy it anyway, but it would be great news for me if that's confirmed.