What's new

DreamWorks deal marks big changes for Bollywood (1 Viewer)

Pete-D

Screenwriter
It's kind of a neat idea, but in terms of Bollywood films being successful in the North American market with non-Indian audiences ... I dunno.

I think Hong Kong cinema had cross over appeal because Bruce Lee laid a foundation several decades prior and the whole kung-fu/action genre can sell tickets to American boys/men.

Bollywood romances would have to really catch on with the female demographic here. Also America is much more liberal in their acceptance of on-screen sex and kissing ... are Bollywood producers willing to push that envelope?

But I think this is a good move for Dreamworks as it'll boost their reach worldwide.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit, even though I've only gone to a couple of Bollywood films - Koi... Mil Gaya and its sequel Krrish - I've kind of liked the way they bypassed the studio system in America. As it stands right now, Indian movies open in Boston (well, Arlington, but still T-accessible) the same day they open in Mumbai. That happens because they fit into a fairly narrow niche - not really profitable enough for the major studios, but worthwhile for theaters in areas with significant Hindu population. I wonder if teaming with Dreamworks or other American studios will actually make these films less accessible - would they be trading day-and-date theatrical openings for greater visibility on DVD shelves?

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila
My personal feeling is very much against the whole idea. I am amazed how confidently they are pursuing the goal to “lure U.S. audiences”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks