Dreamscape DVD censored?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grant H, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

I realize its been a long time since this DVD came out, but does anyone else think the DVD edition is some kind of TV edit?
    I refer to the scene where Quaid enters the dream of the man whose wife is cheating on him. On the VHS version when they walk in on his wife and brother in bed together the wife appears topless (though briefly). However, the shot seems to be altered on DVD and reveals no nudity at all.
    I thought this might have been an open matte issue at first, and the uncropped full-frame version simply revealed more than the director intended, but upon reviewing both it seemed the shot was too different for that to be the case. As if it were zoomed in as well, perhaps for TV broadcast.
    Or was Dreamscape shot Super 35? I don't know for sure if that format even existed then.
    Anyone else notice this issue or care to comment? Is Dreamscape possibly a film like those in that MGM lawsuit there's a thread for? (Films that are supposedly Pan and Scan versions that are then cropped (again) for DVD widescreen release)
    Or maybe it's just a case of "Where should we matte this?" a la Back to The Future 2 and 3. Can't recall if the headroom in the shot seemed excessive. Will have to look into that possibility.

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

it was zoomed in. This was discussed in this forum several years back. I can't seem to find the archive though.

3. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

IMDb says
    * Dreamscape was cut for release in the UK. The scene on the train where Alex meets Tommy is shorter as it features the infamous nunchuka, which rarely makes it onto the British Screen. This scene can be seen in the TV version which was shown on BBC1 albeit minus a few "strong" words.
    * The US DVD uses an alternate shot of the scene where the short bald guy with glasses finds his wife cheating on him. Normally you see the woman partially naked but on the DVD only her face is shown.

4. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Thanks for the info guys. Don't know why I never thought to check the forum back when I got the DVD. I think I usually stuck mostly to the Coupons and Bargains area at the time (as a reader not a poster.)

Very strange though. I remember back when DVD's promised us UNCUT versions of films. We didn't have to dig out fuzzy VHS tapes for the original versions. I guess maybe the ratings system has gotten stricter since its original home video release, but I would think the brevity would have still let it pass for PG-13. Heck, Lucas got a PG for Radioland Murders, and that had several topless women, albeit only for about a second. (Slyly enough, the trailers showed them in lingerie) I guess the fact in Dreamscape that the woman was having sex might have something to do with it.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

Glad I saw this - now I won't ever be tempted to buy this. This was the first movie I ever remember seeing breasts in.