What's new

Dreamcast Third Party Controllers (1 Viewer)

ChrisV

Second Unit
There's a lot of talk going on here about third party controllers for the XBox and third party controllers in general. While I agree with the common sentiment that they usually aren't worth the 5 to 10 dollar savings, I'm still curious as to whether any decent ones exist for the Dreamcast.
I'm wondering if there are some good ones out as the console has been around for quite some time, giving these companies ample opportunity to produce a good controller.
I'm not a big fan of the Sega DC controller, so would like to find one that is a bit more comfortable for whatever price, or one that is similar for less money (for multiplayer... who cares if my friends hands are cramped :) ).
Also, has anybody had any experience with these units that claim to allow you to use a Dual Shock with your DC? Opinions?
Thanks,
Chris.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Try the MadKatz DC pads. I really really like mine, and I feel it's what the official Sega pads should have been.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'll second the MadCatz recommendation, with a couple of caveats.

First, the slots for memory cards and tremor packs are tight, very tight. I really have to put some effort into getting the memory card out.

Second, the "plugs" don't seem as tight as the Sega controllers. I use controller extension cables, and the fit is pretty loose.

The MadCatz pads are currently cheaper than the Sega pads ($13 new at Gamestop and FuncoLand), and they just feel a lot better, especially with the rubberized grips on the side. The controller cable is still attached at the bottom of the controller, though, which has always bugged me.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I had a Madcatz and it was fine, but I think overall I prefer the Sega Pad.

I bought it mainly because it had buttons on the face for L&R which is nice for playing Capcom fighters. Unfortunatly the DPad isn't very good for Capcom fighters, so it sort of negated the advantage.

The triggers are also a little stiffer than the Sega ones, which at first I thought I would like better, but in the end it just made my fingers a little more tired.

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
Call me crazy but I like the Official Dreamcast controller. It fits all of my FPS games nicely. For fighting games however, I use the Agetec arcade joystick which is awesome. If you can find one of these Sega licensed joysticks, I highly recommend you buy it.

Ike

Screenwriter
I always did like playing with the DC pad, but after many hours logged with the Dual Shock on the PS2, I decided to pop in Unreal Tournament since I was addicted to it for a month or two, and man, I could tell a difference! The single analog stick, with the face buttons controlling up and down made for a sloppy control, at least while I was getting reintroduced to it.

But I later played NFL2K1, and enjoyed the controls, though it still feels like I'm gripping a plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks