Dreamcast sees a further reduction in price

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by pitchman, Nov 20, 2001.

1. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    When I was at TRU today during lunch, I noticed the Dreamcast was marked down to $49.99. I believe the sports pack was also marked down, but I don't recall the exact price. Since I had not seen this posted yet (and Camp alluded to something "big" coming down the pike), I thought I would pass this info along.

BTW, after two weeks of scouring the board here, I finally made up mind and picked up a shiny black GameCube along with a copy of Super Monkey Ball!

I am still very impressed with the hardware potential of the Xbox (despite the hardware problems members are reporting here), but I'm not a fan of first-person shooters and never much cared for Munch, so I will hold off on my Xbox purchase until early next year. Thanks to everyone here for the excellent hardware reviews, they were really helpful in helping me to make my decision!

EDIT - EDIT - EDIT - EDIT

Well, what do I know?? After scrambling around town to get a GameCube and Super Monkey Ball, I find out that my kids really wanted an Xbox. This surprised the hell out of me since they are HUGE Nintendo fans and have been talking about the GCN for months! Since it "technically" is a Christmas gift for the famliy (still unopened), I caved and returned it to TRU. This morning, after waiting two hours in line at K*B Toys (I refuse to buy a rip-off bundle at EB!), we now have a shiny black & green behemoth. I just hope I don't end up regretting this. I was REALLY looking forward to Super Monkey Ball!

Gary

2. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

The DC is gonna be blown out of stores @ $50...

If you like videogames,then this is a must buy at this price.

I have more than gotten my fair share of value out of this system,and so will most others.

3. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I challenge any game to be as fun as Virtua Tennis for 4 player fun. (And FPSs are weak on Consoles, there is no substitute for a mouse and keyboard. I played Quake 3 on the DC for like 2 days, it got BORING having 30 kills while everyone else had like 2. There is no way to be as dextrous on the d-pad)

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Matty-

The PS2 allows a lot of games to be played with a mouse and keyboard. They might not be online, but its still something neat. At least you don't have to purchase the mouse/keyboard from another company (like Sega for the DC ones).

Anyone know when the PS2, XB, and GCN will have online FPSs? I'm not talking LAN, I mean really online.

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Matty, I was always interested in the DC and Virtua Tennis. Can you give any high(est) recommendations for other games on the DC? Please, no fighting or FPS games.

At $50, this seems like a steal. Wonder how much the games are?

6. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

Any of the 2k2 series. Those are all sports. Crazy Taxi 2 is another one to take a look at.

7. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

There is a post in the Coupons and Bargains thread here at the HTF which indicates that Best Buy will be selling the Dreamcast with a game for $50 this Friday...Black Friday. Bwahahahahaaa [​IMG]
    -Dan B

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Hell, you can get the sports pack (which includes 3 games) for $50 at TRU (and probably elsewhere).

If you don't have a Dreamcast now's the time to add it to your collection...all for the cost of an Xbox game.

BTW, Virtua Tennis rules!!

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I'm really disappointed that Sega did pull their game price reduction out of their hat.....are they going to leave it up to retailers now??? BTW I am going tomorrow and getting my second dreamcast and I am thinking about getting one for my little sister for Xmas.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Kelley,

Your assumption that game markdowns are up to the retailer is correct. There are too many vendors of Dreamcast software for an all-encompassing markdown credit.

11. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

Last night I picked up the sports bundle at TRU for $69.99. Seeing as how I payed $100 more for the limited edition black dreamcast sports bundle less than a year ago, this is an incredible deal. Actually it's more of a steal.
    I think I will now retire my black DC and put the wear and tear on the grey one [​IMG].
    Now I'm just waiting for all the retailers to liquidate their remaining DC games.

12. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

13. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Definitely thinking of picking up a DC now. You think $50 is good for the hardware OR the sports pack? KB Toys is selling the console AND the sports pack for only $69.99. Think I'm BS'ing? Check it out here.
    [​IMG]

14. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

15. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Here is my list of all time favorite DC games:

Virtua Tennis

Virtua Tennis 2K2

NFL 2K1

NBA 2K1

Jet Grind Radio (INCREDIBLE graphics. The PS2 STILL has nothing that can compare to it's cell shading)

Capcom vs SNK

SF Alpha 3

Metropolis Street Racer

These are all games that I own. Im sure there are a LOT more games out there that are AWESOME.