Dreamcast production to continue.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan B, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

From www.spong.com :

2. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

(scratches head)
    -mwb-, who just bought Atari Anniversary Edition, Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 2, and Sega Smashpack Volume 1, all brand new, for $24 and tax this afternoon. . .

3. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Great news. Wonder what the implications will be for this side of the ocean...

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Wow, this is too good to be true!

6. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

7. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

How does that work?

The reason there is an increased demand is because IT'S $49!!!

8. Michael St. Clair

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Indeed, Michael.

Thanks for the confirmation on Midway Vol 2, Matt. Have to pick that up this weekend (and a couple extra to ship back to the UK...). Ta!

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

This is good news. And it doesn't surprise me at all. Sega hired a company (Majesco?) to continue making the Genesis, GameGear, and Pico well after they ceased "official" support for the platforms.

There is certainly a market for entry level game consoles. Nintendo and Sony should quickly re-think their N64 and PSone strategies if Dreamcast production continues in the US.

11. BrandonG

BrandonG Agent

I guess this is good news but is doesn't make sense to me. I mean, if it wasn't for Best Buy's ad, there wouldn't be this much of a demand for the system. I have people asking about it, mostly parents looking for a cheap system, but when you tell them about the future of the system, they get turned off. They don't like the idea of buying something that will be super hard to find *UNUSED* games for in 6 months. It does help that games like Virtua Tennis and Crazy Taxi are both 9.99 and Crazy Taxi 2 and 18 wheeler went down to 19.99 each, but there is only one major game coming out next year and that is NHL 2K2. I doubt by feb of next year most retailers will still have space dedicated to the system. Just look at most stores now and you can see what I mean. I hope I don't come off as someone who hates the Dreamcast, I like several games for it, but I am looking at it from the point of view of retailers. It is the same reason why I don't let customers buy Game Boy Color units, because in a year you won't be able to find *UNUSED* games.

12. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

13. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Brandon, I think you missed the part in the article that stated this is in Japan.
    To somewhat contradict this story, in IGN Insider's "Gaming Life in Japan" feature tonight, they report that, according to Japanese gaming mag Famitsu, the Dreamcast had it's lowest sales ever in Japan for the week of Nov. 5th-11th (see figures below). It should be noted, however, that these figures do not include Sega's Online service or various other retailers. Here is the fine print on that, if you care, otherwise check out the sales chart below in RED. FINE PRINT: The numbers are reported from a select set of stores throughout Japan. Famitsu collects the number of units sold through these merchants, adds them up, and brings us the resulting sales charts. Here's the list of retailers (hint: it's in Japanese).
    PS2: 33,993 (2,663,693 this year)
    Game Boy Advance: 33,146 (3,457,038 this year)
    GameCube: 18,073 (280,392 this year)
    Wonder Swan Color: 5,099 (257,887 this year)
    PSOne: 4,760 (178,219 this year)
    Game Boy Color: 1,591 (478,220 this year)
    Pocket Station: 332 (172,333 this year)
    N64: 331 (71,078 this year)
    Dreamcast: 152 (268,407 this year)
    -Dan B

14. BrandonG

BrandonG Agent

Whoops, I didn't read the part about Japan.

Yes, it's true that you can get games NOW, but most customers want to buy a system that will be around for awhile. Even with that sale last week, most customers only bought the 7.99 titles, and didn't touch anything else. I rarely see customers buy more than 3-4 games, and that is if they are all $9.99. I inform all my customers about future lifespan of game systems because I don't want them coming back into my store in Feb and then finding out that Dreamcast game manfacturing will stop in March. I say if you want a Dreamcast, just stock up on games now.

15. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Where can I get Sega smash pack from under $10???

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Wolf, This won't help you now, but as part of Best Buy's infamous Black Friday sale, Sega Smash Pack was on of the titles for $9.99. If you happen across one at a BB, I'm sure the everyday price will not be much higher. Of course, the real trick will be "happening across one." [​IMG]

18. BrandonG

BrandonG Agent

Regular price for the Smash pack is now $9.99. Every Monday morning Best Buy does permenent price changes, and for the past several weeks, Dreamcast games have been on it, along with all the other game systems. So if you guys want to catch a bargain, check out the stores on Monday to see what went down in price. I have noticed that most of the time BB beats other retailers to price changes. Heck, I have seen games at Walmart $20-30 more than what we sell it for.

19. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Thanks! I just ordered from ebgames!