Dreamcast Import question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

OK, I need some help. I'm trying to use the Utopia Boot disc to play import games. I just need someone to give me a quick step by step as to what I need to do to use it.
    Ive downloaded the Nero Image file (about 1.01 meg) and burned it to a disc. Now all all I need do is place the boot disc in first and once loaded exchange the import disc in the GD drive? Correct?
    (Excuse my ignorance with this process I personally have not used the Boot disc before. I only have experience with a modded Dreamcast which of course requires nothing but the mod[​IMG]. Also Im not at the home of the person testing this so I wanted to gather some information before doing anything else...)

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Yep, that's it. You can also just burn and test the Utopia disc, if you want to verify that it works before plunking down the cash for the import disc.

(BTW: Anyone have a good CD label/picture to use for printing a label for the boot disc?)

-Dave

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yup, it's just a straight standard burn of the disk image in Nero. Last time I needed one, I burned two or three to make sure I had some kicking about when needed [​IMG]
    One caveat - the Utopia disk will NOT boot games that use WinCE. Thus it won't boot games like Sega Rally, Worms World Party etc.
    Instead, I use the Gameshark CDX as that boots them fine - I believe other "real" bootdisks boot WinCE games fine too. Your mileage may vary of course.
    Oh and Dave, DCEmulation.com has a whole bunch of covers & labels for Utopia, homebrew software & emulators.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Thanks Brian! I had a hunch that you'd be posting in this thread. [​IMG]
    -Dave

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Well this is mainly for Shenmue 2. I wanted to make sure it worked before I had the person test it (A friend is testing it).

I have read that the utopia disc works fine with Shenmue 2.
    Can anyone verify?

Thanks for the information thus far.

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

You're welcome, Romier. To be honest, as easy as the bootdisk is, I think I'd rather have a modded DC - it just makes it "faster" to boot up European games & saves messing about with the stupid Gameshark memory card thingy.
    Of course, I'd need two modded machines, so I guess the bootdisk is a little cheaper & easier [​IMG]

9. JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan Stunt Coordinator

Just as a side note... The Utopia boot disc is technically illegal for those interested. It was made using an unlicensed kit and contains unlicensed/copyrighted code. It also isn't the best import booter out there...
    If you want that, then I recommend Blaze's DC-X import booter. Very nicely done -- and it will boot the imports that Utopia won't. It also does a better job of allowing VGA play for those of you that want the better clarity and use a VGA adapter.
    That being said, if you really want some cover images, then B00B! Covers Central has a selection of NTSC jewel-case-sized covers as well as a DVD-case-sized cover.
    - John...

10. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I use both DC-X and Utopia... err, I've heard stories from people who use them. Ahem.

DC-X is great, but there's a little more flicker and some games (like Rez, for example) chop off the top and bottom of the screen image. I've heard this may be more accurate to PAL, but by contrast, games run under Utopia appear more solid and show more of the image.

This is just my experience.

Steve