Dreamcast HDTV Question....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dave_brogli, Nov 17, 2002.

1. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I dont know where this belongs... the guys in the game section said to try here so here i am. PLEASE HELP
    I have a dreamcast VGA Box
    I have a RCA 36 HDTV Monitor
    I plug my VGA box into my PC monitor and the 480p works. I get picture and everythings joyous.
    I plug it in to my tv.... problems.[​IMG]
    I tried using my RGB15(from the vga box) to component in on my tv and NO picture at all. (I have a cable with the rgb15 on one side and componet on the other side)
    I tried the rgb15 (from the vga box) into the rgb15 in on the tv (the rca's HD input jack) and I get a picture that flashes on for a sec and goes to "unusable signal" for 5 seconds and back to the picture again. When the Dreamcast's picture shows up there are a few horizontal lines and discoloring (kinda like when you dont have your component plugs in all the way)
    Well I dont know whats happening?? I am unsure of how to fix it or if it can even be fixed???
    Any help will be appreciated and I will try and explain things better for anyone who needs more info!

2. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Well, first of all the only way to go through the component connections is to use a transcoder that changes the Dreamcast signal from RGBHV to a normal component signal (YPbR) or whatever it is. I also think you are having a sync problem with the db15 input. The Dreamcast puts out a computer resolution that the tv probably can't recognize, but of course your computer monitor does, and that is why you can see it on the monitor but not the tv. The Dreamcast doesn't put out 480p in the normal way like an XBox does. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge about the various types of signals will chime in with some help.

TimG

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

You can use a transcoder to convert the RGB signal to component, but you are looking at anywhere from $100-300 for that. You might be able to find one at Best Buy or Circuit City that is open box or on closeout. I know RCA sold one through them for their early Hi-Def tv boxes, they were only $100 new, so you might find them a lot cheaper now, or try to find a used one. At least they are cheaper to buy when converting vga to component then component to vga. [​IMG] Good luck.
    TimG