What's new

Dream Theater - Live At Budokan DVD (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Don't have this DVD yet, but I'm a casual fan and like the other DT DVD I have (Images/5 Years). Is it safe to assume if I picked this one up in a store now, it would be the glitch-free version? How would you tell the difference? Thanks in advance!

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

The catalog number of the corrected version is R2-970366.

On a side note, I just received a copy of "Mike Portnoy: Live in Budokan," which is a DVD containing only the drum cam footage from the Budokan show. What's neat is that Portnoy offers three audio options: full band, drums only, and an audio commentary of himself and Mike Brown (who runs the DT website and has been instrumental in putting together some of Portnoy's side-project DVDs).

This DVD is another example of how much Portnoy gives to the fans. He financed the production costs and stated that while he may make a few dollars off of it, it was not done to get rich. The commentary track alone is worth the price of the disc, as there is no commentary on the DT DVD. It's also interesting to hear Portnoy's background vocals during the isolated drum track...his voice is better than I thought!

Recommended for any DT fan.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Brian,

I picked this up today before I read your message and the # says 034-970366. I presume it is the faulty one. I'll check it out later this weekend and post on the findings.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm not sure...I looked at the original and it has the name number as the new one (and the new one came in an unmarked jewel case).

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
My corrected version also has the same number (R2 970366) as the defective one.

However, on the inner rim of the disc itself, there is a code that's so small it's hard to read. I had to shine a light on it to see at an angle. You can also tell which disc you have by the way it defaults in its audio track. But here is what I can see:

Defective disc: 970366V2.1.B VB01
defaults to Dolby Digital 5.1
Replacement disc: 970366V3.1.B VC03
defaults to Stereo

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Well, the DVD I picked up yesterday had no problems at all. It is a fantastic disc with great picture and sound. Thanks for the heads up!

The DVD convinces me once again that these guys' ability to throw down the instrumental chops is unsurpassed in all of rock music. It also convinces me that their music plays much better live than on many of their CDs, where their excesses often grow exhausting (and Rush and Yes are two of my favorite bands). I actually like the Rush-Queensryche-Yes side of these guys much more than the King Crimson-Yngwie-Speed Metal side, which explains why I'm not as hard core a fan as many on this thread. Still, live they are extremely compelling, and this DVD is testament to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks