What's new

Dream Theater - Live At Budokan DVD (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The multi-angle version of Instrumedley is really cool. I actually watched the song four times, one for each musician. If only the whole show could have been done that way...

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
James sings differently live than he does in the studio to preserve his voice. It's not that he's flat, it's that he's changing many vowel sounds like "ee" and "i" to more of an "eh." It places much less strain on the vocal chords at high notes. He's using operatic technique to make sure he doesn't lose his voice.

So give him a break.

As for the audio glitch, I haven't gotten that far yet. Damn, that's annoying. I hope they fix it.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Andrew,

My point is that with this band, it really sticks out when they play live because all of the other musicians sound like they are almost perfect.

I have always wondered how they would sound live if they had someone like Goeff Tate from Queensryche as their lead singer.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Regarding the error, there is info on the Mike Portnoy forums about e-mail Rhino for an exchange. I think they expect to have the new discs ready sometime next month.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

Fair enough. However, that "flawless" live sound is one of the most valid criticisms against them by people who don't like them. They aren't called "math-rock" for nothing. I sometimes wish they were a little less "perfect" live, if that makes any sense.

LaBrie's voice doesn't bother me live. In fact, his current live sound is very similar to his Images And Words and Awake studio sound: lots of bell-shaped vowels and round tones up high, so it sounds like "I was told if you dream of the next world / You'll find yourself sweh meh ehn eh leh of fleh!"

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Not to me. Live rock doesn't need to be sloppy or inaccurate. I've always liked to hear artists play the songs as recorded. There are typically solo spots or instrumentals where they can branch off. Dream Theater plays perfect because they can. But I agree that typically LaBrie stands out because of this. He is much better in the studio.

Overall this is the DT live disc I have been waiting for. Widescreen with great camera work. I grew tired quickly of the psychadelic and split screen stuff on Scenes From a Memory. And Tokyo/5 Years are either too rough in spots or too much of a mishmash in others. But any DT is good DT. ;)

And another revelation - the camera stays on the performers as they solo! What a novel idea! Too few concert videos recognize there are people who want to see the guitar player when he solos (or keyboard, or bass, or drums). Really nice production values here overall.

:emoji_thumbsup: to Dream Theater.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I was at Best Buy today and Live at Budokan was playing on a 50" Pioneer plasma display. Usually I don't give the demo TVs there any thought, but the stunning picture quality made me do a double-take, stop, and exclaim "whoa!". It was flat out beautiful.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
The more I watch this the more impressed I am. Really, really well done. I cannot wait until my theater is complete that I'll be able to watch this on the big screen. What I also find amazing is the second disc. The gear walkthroughs with Petrucci and Rudess are what every guitar and keyboard player have been waiting for. Petrucci did something like this at the end of his instructional video and it was also very cool. Likewise the multi-angle Instrumedley where my first time through I kept it pinned on him (as did all the other guitar players likely). Will have to run through the others as well to catch what everyone else is doing.

Must have for any DT fan.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor

I liked this part too. Watching Disc 1 I kept wondering what those silver "foot rests" were. I knew they weren't monitors as I could see JP with in-ear monitors. I remember from seeing them live and on the other DVD's that he usually would prop his foot up on a monitor when he would solo. Sure enough, as if he was answering my question he explained that the "foot rest" was simply a.....foot rest!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
There's been some talk on the Portnoy forum about people receiving e-mails from Rhino requesting shipping addresses. If you e-mailed them per MP's instructions and included your shipping address the first time they probably don't need to e-mail you. Here's hoping the replacements will ship soon.

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

I'm a little late to the thread, but I heard from Rhino last Friday (I had sent them an email with my address about 3-4 weeks ago). They sent me an update email with what's going on. Looked like a canned letter of some sort, but they did respond to me when I replied to them thanking them. They're sending the new disc out soon and do not require the old one back. I find that very trusting of them, but also very good service. Probably easier for them, anyway... ;)

Nick

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to follow-up. Got my replacement DVD on Monday and it seems to have taken care of the problem.

Nick

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Ditto-got my replacement over the weekend. Nice to finally be able to watch the show without waiting for the glitch.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Just got mine too...

The only problem I having is that on my main DVD player (Sony DVP-S7000) the FF function doesn't work on this disc (nor did it on the flawed original disc). However, the FF function works when I play it on my computer. Weird...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks