What's new

Dream Room (1 Viewer)

Jeff Magdziarz

Auditioning
In another month or so, I will be in a position to spend about $10,000 (maybe more) on a complete home theater system. I would appreciate some suggestions on what to buy. Please be as specific as possible. Basically, I want a screen, sound system, DVD, VCR, Tivo, and Game system. I already have a Direct TV receiver. The "Dream Room" is a nice size (30' x 15'?). Please advise.

Thanks,
Jeff M.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
When you say screen, does that mean you want a projector as well? If so, that may eat up almost 1/3 to 1/2 of your budget for a decent home theater projector. If when you say screen, you mean tv screen, as in RPTV? Please be more specific.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
If you don't mind me asking, What is the big "wow" appeal of Plasma? Plasma sets cost twice as much as equal projection sets- and the rise/fall time of the pixels is horrible. I have never seen a plasma set that i thought looked good.

I don't mean this to just Jeff-- more of a general question. It seems like the wizz-bang technology that adevrtisers try to push as some godhead device has been Plasma. It seems every time I see some guy on TV win the lottery, on his list now is a Plasma TV. Am I insane, or has Phillips just convinced everyone these things are the ultimate in technology (like Bose does with their speakers).

-Vince

Jeff Magdziarz

Auditioning
Vince,

I don't have a great knowledge of technology. I am just going by what I see on display in the stores. Plasma looks the best to me. If there is a better TV, tell me.

Jeff M.

Raceen

Agent
Jeff,

If you plan on going with a Plasma TV, for that size room, you would want a large one. Which, of course, costs 10K plus - Just for the TV.

But who knows...they might drop in price sooner than expected!

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Jeff,
I would not go with a plama screen for that size room unless you are planning to spend some major money. If I were you, I would think your money would be better spent on a projector. For around the same amount of money as a plasma screen, you can get a projector which will allow you to produce a much larger image. If you pair it with a HTPC (Home Theater Personal Computer) or a Progressive Scan source the picture is amazing. The problem is that many of the retail stores do not have these on display-so it is hard to judge something like that. Be patient and look around for home theater stores-there are plenty of them out there. I think a projector and a screen would be the best bang for your buck. I think plasma screens are nice but not worth all the money. Some of the brands coming out are so new, no one has any idea how long the displays will last, the increasings costs of servicing these things, etc. Good luck with your purchases.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well let me see... A system off the top of my head (I have to convert to US$ from Canadian so I may be very slightly off...
DVD
Panasonic RP82 or RP62 (~$250) DVD player of choice with no chroma bug.
Game system
X Box (~$200)
Tivo?
Speakers
Paradigm Monitor 9 (front) (~$700)
Paradigm CC350 (centre) (~$300)
Paradigm ADP350 (surround) (~$650)
SVS 20-39 PC-PLUS (subwoofer) (~$825)
Receiver
Denon 3803 (~$1100)
Projector
Sanyo PLV-70 (~$5000)
Screen
First you need to determine size but possible choices for your room off the top of my head and without knowing anything more are 92" 16x9 and 100" 16x9. Basically, you have a budget of ~$1000 left for the screen based on the $10K total.
Keep in mind I am just throwing this system together without going into more depth on what your needs are. However, these are some fine components all in all.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Whoa! Before you start buying gear...Is the Dream Room finished or not? Does your your $10k budget allow for finishing and furnishing the room?

Jeff Magdziarz

Auditioning
The budget is just for the Home Theater. Depending on what I need, that budget could be made to go higher.

Also, what is the difference between a screen and a projector? I thought it was an all-in-one package.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Think of it like a movie theatre. The screen is at the front and the projector is at the back of the theatre. Without the projector, you would have to entertain yourself with the blank screen. :)
Take a read through this article on front projection. It will give you a lot of insight about the subject. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...66#post1173066
Other than front projection, there is rear projection which is usually in the form of a big screen TV (CRT, LCD, DLP, LCOS, etc -- various forms of projection technology).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Jeff, front projection is absolutely great, there is no way to experience movies like this. I am curious though as to why you are shying away from rear projection (TV's). Just want to understand the reasons. If you are going to use this as your primary display (what it sounds like you are doing) then I would not rule out rear projection TV's yet. With front projection, although prices have come down to easy levels, you have to consider bulb life (at least with digital projectors as opposed to CRT or 3 gun projectors). After anywhere from 1000 - 3000 hours of use (depending on the type/model of projector, the bulb will need to be replaced and the cost could be anywhere from $200 - $400 depending on the projector. If you are using your system for movies only, and maybe a little HDTV down the road and perhaps a few games and sporting events, you would not use up the bulb life too quickly, but if your intention is to play this unit all the time, even have it play in the background as a regular TV then you will quickly use up the bulb's life, and you will have to replace it more often.
Just a heads up.
While you have more money to play around with than this other fellow, keep an eye on this thread as well for ideas...
What to do with $6000

Jeff Magdziarz

Auditioning
I saw some rear projection sets at Circuit City, and I just didn't think they were that clear, especially if you weren't looking at them dead on. Also, they are just way too bulky, and most of them were sitting on a big box-type thing and had little space to put all your components.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You need to do some demos of your own on various technologies, maybe even direct view TV like the Sony Wegas as an example. Other than the display (which seems to be the hangup here), maybe we can help you pick some of your other components or at least give you a few choices?

Jeff Magdziarz

Auditioning
Absolutely. I would greatly appreciate advice and probably follow it. I know some people who know a little about home theater technology, but noone has been able to offer what I have gotten here in the few short days I have been on this site.

Maybe a good start would be to let me know of several good brands of things I need and even suggest places to find or demo them. Thanks a lot.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Well- I've personally been completely unimpressed with Plasma sets and plasma technology in general. I know the marketing makes it seem high tech- but when it comes right down to it, it is another LCD-like technology with a fixed panel of pixels which are charged gas. Because of the whole nature of a gas charging system, it takes some time (granted milliseconds but...) to have the color raise and fall- and on the Plasma screens I've seen, this pixel time was noticeable and created a weird halo.

For me, the ideal technology for home display is CRT front projection. However- this isn't a perfect world. CRT units are BIG, tough to install and manage, and good ones are expensive. What's more- they require TOTAL light control- they simply look best in a perfectly dark room. All these issues are usually too much for the average person who is not willing to sacrifice convenience for quality.

From there- other front projection technology like LCD or DLP are good because they are smaller and cheaper. I have a DLP projector (NEC LT150) and it does a good job. Again- light control is key-- if you don't have a dark room- don't consider front projection.

From there I would say direct view RPTV is good stuff. Essentially, a good RPTV is a CRT projector (as outlined above as #1) in a box. That's why you saw them as "bulky" boxes below them- that the entire optics system that makes them work. If you don't have that type of thing- what you're getting is basically a fixed pixel panel.

Oh, and another thing- as hard as this might make it- don't trust anything you see on a showroom floor. RPTVs look horrid under the bright fluorescent lighting of a Best Buy- and are usually CRANKED on brightness and contrast which creates all types of picture problems. In addition- the alignment of the internal optics is KEY to a clean and clear picture-- any RPTV that has ever been moved is slightly out of alignment (the degree out is proportional to how violently they were moved). Imagine a RPTV in a best buy that was likely dragged across the floor by a couple of Highschool kids making minimum wage and you quickly realize that you might not be seeing the best picture the set has to offer.

In reality all these things are trade offs in one way or another. Each display technology has its down sides-- and usually elimination of "bulk" means the reduction of quality or the increase in price. If you have a display technology that seems sleek but is also comparably priced- I would be suspect of the potentials for quality.

-vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks