Dream HTPC... Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Garrett Lundy, May 17, 2004.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

My idea started when I read a review for a hard-disk based movie player by Carosel (I think? been a few months). Anyway, you ripped all your dvds and could then watch a movie in a differant room using a wired receiver. Sounds good.

Now then. Given the rapid pace of hard-drive advancement I was wondering....

Could a HTPC be set-up to do the following:

1.Record a movie & soundtarck but no extras or need for a menu. The film just plays.

2.Keep all of your trailers organised.

3. Then set the HTPC so that when you want to watch a movie you can watch a few minutes of randomly selected "trailers" before the film starts (like a real theater!).

2. Michael Davies

Hi Garrett

This can be done with the right software and time. There is some info about doing this with the myhtpc front end, but requires other programs etc to get it all to work. I believe mainlobby also does (i have no experience with this front end, but im sure a search would be able to help you out.)

i am trying to do similar things but am hampered by a lack of knowledge in programming. i believe that the mainlobby program is fully configured but is commercial while myhtpc is free but requires fiddling so do some reseach and see what is right for you.

best of luck

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This is actually pretty common these days, start reading HTPC over at AVS. Guys have been building storage arrays with front ends for a while.

-V