DRC pseudo-HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Odendaal, Nov 26, 2002.

1. John Odendaal

Oct 27, 2002
    I need some input regarding the capabilities of my TV.
    I have a Sony KV-EX29M37, which is a 29" 4:3 set with that DRC feature. One of the DRC modes is DRC1250, which "doubles" (I use apostrophes as I am not sure how accurate the doubling is) the horizontal lines from 625 to 1250, and the vertical from 720 to 1440.
    With my PC connected (via S-video) I am able to display 1024x768. If I choose 1280x1024, the set keeps the 1024x768 resolution, but I have to scroll down and sideways to view the entire picture.
    Here is an excerpt from the Primer thread:
  2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    John, I am moving this to the Displays area.
  3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    According to the US (ATSC) hdtv standard, HD is defined as a picture with 720 scanlines drawn progressively, 1080 lines interlaced, or 1080 lines progressive. 720p and 1080i are the only ones being used for HD broadcasts at the present time. The ATSC standard also specifies 480 lines progressive but this is designated as SD (standard definition).

US market HD ready sets almost all have line doublers for improving the picture when receiving our older 480i ntsc signals. Sony HD-ready models sold here have this feature, and here it's also called DRC. It converts incoming 480p to your choice of 960i or 480p.

I could be wrong but I think in South Africa you have the PAL system which is 625i, so your drc doubles this to 1250i.

One point is a set's line doubling capability and capability to accept an HD signal are two separate features.

A few sets were sold here in the mid to late 90s that had line doubling, but were not capable of accepting and displaying an ATSC HD signal. Sony sold a 53" rptv with DRC that would not accept an HD scanrate, and Toshiba also sold a large rptv with line doubling but no HD capability.

Unless a standard for HD broadcast has already been established in South Africa and Sony advertises your set as being capable of receiving and displaying it, I would not assume that your set is HD capable, but only has line doubling.

I have an HD capable tv with an external HD tuner that displays the 1080i ATSC HD picture.

It also can accept 480p from a progressive scan dvd player and can double the interlaced conventional 480i signal from our ntsc sources to 480p or 960i.

For most film based material like movies, the 480p picture from my progressive scan dvd player looks almost as good as 1080i. I've seen Gladiator and several other films both ways and there is some improvement with true HD, but it's not earthshaking.

One of the HD channels I receive has programming that is almost all originally shot in HD video rather than on film. This HD picture is very much better than dvd.

So in short, while your tv probably isn't what could be called true HD, the picture quality you're getting from dvd converted to 1250i by the set is probably very very close in quality to the HD picture we get here in the US.
  4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    Not only must an HDTV set display a picture in a resolution considered HDTV but it must also accept an HDTV input and not scale it down to less than HDTV on its way to the picture tube(s) or LCD/DLP panels.
    Are you sure you are actually getting 1024 x 768 when feeding S-video from your computer into the TV? At least in the U.S. S-video is interlaced standard definition only, PC's that output S-video have scaled down the video to an SDTV scan rate. You may be seeing all of the subject matter on a 1024 x 768 "PC desktop" but the PC might be sending it only on 576 visible scan lines (PAL) or 480 visible scan lines (NTSC) worth of video.
    If it is not apparent at first, the resolution you are actually seeing can be proven using a "paint" program on your PC.
    Unless the TV has some "smarts" built in, usually accompanied by some user aspect ratio or zoom choices, it will not chop the sides off a 16:9 picture. On a CRT screen, video can be stretched to any imaginable shape and it would be up to you to adjust it, if possible, so it looks good to you.
    Here is a test pattern, made using a paint program, that you could try. It has several thin line groups at a pitch of one pixel, which downscaling will cause to be blurred.