DRC on Sony 51inch widescreen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RyanSoares, Dec 2, 2003.

1. RyanSoares

RyanSoares Stunt Coordinator

i was playing with the DRC function on my dad's tv and noticed that they make no difference whatsoever while watching tv, i read the book and it said interlaced is for fast moving action, progressive is for still images and cinemotion is for 24 filmrate..... is the book right? i mean understand using cinemotion for dvds but shouldn't the progressive look better than the interlaced.... there's no difference i went so close to the set and still toggled but no change in picture quality

another thing.... i can't see a difference when watching a dvd in progressive mode or interlaced, we hooked up the dvd player Sony 725 with the coponent cables and toggled the progressive modes but no difference, i know the tv is picking up the progressive cause the screen in flickering when i change from progresive to interlaced but i see no difference....

2. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

If progressive is on on the DVD player you should not be able to change the DRC mode on the TV. The TV detects the 480p signal and overrides the DRC function. But I think you are talking the DRC progressive setting on the TV only right?

I have noticed on my direct view HDTV-ready Sony that progressive adds a kind of screen door effect if you look real close on still images. Interlaced DRC gives a smoother image. This is regardless of source. No CineMotion DRC on my direct view.

On my Sony RPTV that does have CineMotion DRC, I notice a smoother picture with less jagged edges on moving items when using CineMotion. Progressive and Interlaced offer no difference although I suspect they would if I viewed something off a memory stick (like a photo).

Regardless, the progressive output from my Sony NC655P DVD player is smoother still than the TVs CineMotion DRC (absolutely no jaggies). I think you have to try all combinations in your own set-up to find the best picture for you.

N

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Sony's DRC is quite good--so good that the difference between progressive scan input and interlaced from a dvd player is very subtle indeed.

My Panasonic CP-72 is connected via both component direct to the set (Sony KP57HW-40, 2 year old widescreen rptv) and S-video via my receiver, and can output progressive via component and interlaced via S-video simultaneously so I can use the receiver's onscreen display during calibration. I sometimes use the S-video when calibrating my speakers, put in a regular movie and forget to switch back to component--the pq is good enough on S-video that I don't notice the difference enough to remind me to switch back.

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

So, if I am understanding correctly, using a progressive DVD player for movies isn't really necessary? I could just use an interlaced player?

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Depends entirely on the DVD player you have and the TV you have. There is no blanket statement for this.

Regards

6. RyanSoares

RyanSoares Stunt Coordinator

you are right, when i have the dvd's progressive scan on i can't toggle the tv's DRC functions.... but i'm talking about when i'm watching regular tv..... through cable, no Direct tv, no digital cable, just regular cable, i can't see a difference when changing the drc settings????