What's new

DRC (Digital Reality Creation) on Sony (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
My Sony KV-34XBR800 has three DRC modes as follows:
INTERLACED - Recommended for moving pictures
PROGRESSIVE - Recommended for still images & text
CINEMOTION - Reverse 3:2 Pulldown

Being new to HDTV technology, I am really not sure which DRC mode to use when... or how these modes enhance the picture ??? Is there one mode that is better for:
a) Analog signals
b) 480p or 720p cable or antenna signals
c) 1080i cable or antenna signals
d) 480p DVD
I have switched between modes when watching both over-the-air antenna signals and DVD movies, and I don't really notice any difference.

Can I get some suggestions on how to use this video feature ???

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I do know to use Cinemotion for movies that were in the theater. Be it a DVD, VHS tape, or a movie on TV. I have the KP46WT500 and I haven't noticed a difference between progressive and interlaced. I still have digital cable without a HD feed so I don't know if it will make a difference with HD. It threw me off when I seen progressive for still images and interlaced for moving. Im thinking that when Im watching a TV show or a movie that the backgrounds and sets don't don't move that much that progressive makes them sharper. Or the reverse for interlaced, it makes the people appear sharper then the backgrounds when they are moving. But I am in the dark about that, Im hoping someone can clarify a little better.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
DRC is not available for 480p, 720p, or 1080i. DRC only controls 480i sources and how they are doubled.

Use Cinemotion for all movies shot on film, and most TV shows (dramas, comedies) since they are shot on 24fps film also.

Try Interlaced (which is 960i) and Progressive for sports, news, and live broadcasts. Frankly, I think Interlaced (960i) looks better for all of this video-based material, and I pretty much never use Progressive.

As far as DVD goes, get a good progressive DVD player like the Panasonic RP82, XP30, and so on. It is better than using DRC.

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Do you know why TV shows are shot at 24 FPS? I though the NTSC standard was 29.94 FPS.

I have a good Sony Progressive DVD player and I use Cinemotion while watching DVDs. Does the DRC shut off once the DVD is being fed into the TV?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have a good Sony Progressive DVD player and I use Cinemotion while watching DVDs. Does the DRC shut off once the DVD is being fed into the TV?
Yes. If progressive mode is turned on for the DVD player, the DRC button should not even respond when you press it.

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't respond I have to change it on a different input first. Thanks for help, you were very informative;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks