DRC & Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willem Vos, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I always leave the d-range compression to "Off" on my denon 3802 receiver, but after putting it on "HI", I didn't notice much audible difference...
    I seem to remember that with my last receiver (yamaha rx-v 595a) a change of this setting had a lot more impact...

When my DRC is set to "HI", I still get a lot of subwoofer output. I can't hear the difference with when the DRC is switched off. Shouldn't the subwoofer be a lot less loud with DRC switched to "HI"?

2. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I would imagine it would have to do with the volume level. drc is meant to be used at lower volumes for Night Time listening. If you are listening at the same volume level you may not hear a difference until you turn it down and then turn the drc off and on.

3. Willem Vos

I figured it out.
    Apparently DRC only works *IF* you have a center speaker connected.
    If the center channel is sent to the front speakers (center set to "none" in the setup menu) the DRC function is bypassed in some way.

4. Zacha R

Zacha R Stunt Coordinator

Not exactly. But DRC is very dependent on software. I.E. the mixing engineer for each title determines it. Plus, it has to be Dolby Digital software.

I don't have time to go into it right now. (Sorry.) But, do a search here, avsforum.com , dolby.com - that should help.

5. Zacha R

Zacha R Stunt Coordinator

6. Willem Vos

sorry Zasha,

but in the case of the denon 3802, I tried it with several Dolby Digital and DTS discs, and when having center set to "none", changing the DRC option didn't do anything.

After I set the center to "small", I could clearly hear the difference when changing the DRC (especially in loud scenes).