Drawing Flies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Knutzen, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Anybody seen this yet? I'm curious. I love every other movie in the Viewaskewuniverse. Kevin Smith might not have written it but Jason Lee, Mewes and the gang are in it. Is it any good?

2. Jeff Hammett

Jeff Hammett Auditioning

I picked it up last week. I liked it a lot. The quality isn't the greatest, but the film itself is pretty good if you like low budget/indie flicks. Jason Lee is really great in it.

3. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I had the exact opposite reaction because I hated Drawing Flies. I'm a big Kevin Smith fan and also really enjoyed A Better Place, but I was quite bored by Drawing Flies. The dialog was very poorly written and the characters other than Jason Lee's had nothing to them. The only thing of interest to me was the fact that I already knew all of the actors. This is not a View Askew film like the others and after watching the film I'm really surprised that Kevin Smith financed what seems to me like a very poor script.

Gregory

4. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Ditto to what Gregory said!

I've been a huge Kevin Smith/Askewniverse fan ever since I saw Clerks in the theater during its original run. However, I was really bored with Drawing Flies. The story just didn't do anything for me. It's interesting from a "historical" perspective on the career of Jason Lee, but I probably won't be watching this one too many times. I enjoyed A Better Place much more.

The commentaries might be fun, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Still, the price was right, and I'm glad I saw it since I had been hearing about this movie for a long time.

Just don't expect too much from it.

-Kelly

5. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I was excited about "Drawing Flies", but came away very disappointed. I thought "A Better Place" was much, much better.

The commentary tracks are also not that good, IMO.

It's probably worth a rent, but I regret purchasing it sight unseen.

6. George Cifrancis

George Cifrancis Stunt Coordinator

George
    I am a huge fan of the Kevin Smith movies and saw Drawing Flies at Vulgarthon 98. I thought the movie was quite boring and poorly written. I would rent it first.

GC