Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg

Dragonwyck Blu-ray Review
dragonwyck-poster.jpg

Joseph L. Mankiewicz makes a memorable directorial debut in this Twentieth Century Fox classic starring Gene Tierney and Vincent Price.

[review]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have not seen this one but your review has piqued my interest.

Thanks Timothy! That's really the greatest complement of all!

For what it's worth, Vincent Price considered DRAGONWYCK his finest performance.

I can understand why. (I'm not sure I can agree just because there are so many great ones to choose from, and admittedly, I haven't seen enough of them.) But it's a great performance filled with dramatic range, and he really sells it. I watched the movie about two weeks ago to begin working on the review, and I've been thinking about it since then - for a performance to stay in my memory like that is obviously a sign that there's something really good about it.

If you've got time, definitely check out the two radio play versions included on the disc - Price reprises his role both times and it's interesting to be able to compare him in the actual movie against his own recreations of the performance.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just watched it for the first time today, and while the black levels on this release are not the greatest, it's an enjoyable gothic thriller. Gene Tierney is as wonderful as always, and Price is at his genial, menacing best. Thanks for the great review, Josh.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm re-watching my Twilight Time blu-ray of Dragonwyck and enjoying it. Picture quality varies on this one from very good to just ok, depending on the scene. Some outdoor daylight scenes seem a bit "overexposed" or something, but most indoor scenes have pleasing levels of detail.

Here's a paragraph from the insightful review....

"Dragonwyck is the final on-screen pairing of legends Gene Tierney and Vincent Price, as well as the directorial debut of prestigious writer-director Joseph L. Mankiewicz. An adaptation of a popular novel by Anya Seton, the legendary filmmaker Ernst Lubitsch was set to produce until a series of clashes with director Mankiewicz led to Lubitsch abandoning the project. The film is a bit of a departure from the work Mankiewicz would become best known for (All About Eve, Cleopatra), but predicts the type of role that Price would return to repeatedly in the latter part of his career."

Probably I'm missing something, but to me this movie seems connected to most of the other films directed JLM, such as All About Eve, The Barefoot Contessa, and Cleopatra. Like those movies, this movie is about a complicated woman, more good than bad, but flawed. There are ambiguous (to say the least) endings for all of the characters in these movies.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
"Johanna Van Ryn : What can you possibly do up there?

Nicholas Van Ryn : Possibly? Anything from pinning butterflies to hiding an insane twin brother. Actually, I read. I hope that my explanation satisfies you?"

!

As we all know, Vincent Price has a wonderful way of performing lines like this.
He was eggsellent
tumblr_p6hsqaQS0v1sxnnxgo1_500.jpg
You might say ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks