Dragonslayer

Discussion in 'DVD' started by SteveCallas, Aug 25, 2004.

1. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Wow, I picked this dvd up during a 3 for $20 sale at Best Buy a while back and just got around to watching it tonight. The movie itself is a little strange, about an older sorceror and his apprentice battling a dragon similar in style to Willow or Lord of the Rings. But the visuals and especially the sound is top notch. The bass on this movie is VERY aggressive to say the least. Also there is a scene in a cave with water dripping from the rock formations and I could have sworn there was water leaking from my ceiling only to realize it was from the surrounds. I believe it was filmed in Scotland and there are numerous beatiful landscape shots...the greens look really nice.

Overall I was very pleasantly suprised, especially with what they were able to do with the sound on this pretty old movie.

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

It's not that old. It predates Top Gun and Die Hard by five years and seven years, respectively. It predates E.T. by one year.

3. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

This is a pretty recent DVD actually. It was released in May. It's bare-bones and a DVD-5 to boot if I recall correctly. However, the film isn't that long and it does seem to be well transferred, if a little lean bit-rate-wise. It is in it's correct aspect ratio and anamorphic to boot. Many popular films have been treated far worse.

The film itself is interesting... It was one of many films in the early eighties trying to capitalize on the fantasy market Star Wars opened up. Dragonslayer could almost have been a Disney flick, but it had a few key scenes of rather visceral gore and some big downers that just weren't suitable for kids. It missed it's market and tanked, pulling in only about a third of what it cost to make. Still, it's an interesting flick and a great watch for any fantasy fan. Vermithrax is still one of the best dragons ever put on film.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Dragonslayer was a Disney/Paramount co-production. Kinda like Popeye.

5. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

I have the LD version of it and even in stereo the sound is fantastic.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I must have watched Dragonslayer at least 5 times while it was in the theater. This was a must buy for me when it hit DVD.

7. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

I don't know how it got a PG rating with a male ass shot, a female ass and part chest shot, and a few pretty violent scenes.

As far as me saying "for a pretty old movie", I meant that they did a very nice job on the 5.1 mix for something from 1981.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I love this film and Paramount's DVD looks and sounds great. It's a shame there wasn't the budget to go for some kind of special editon but I'm quite happy with the disc.

I still love how that dragon looks and moves. A fine testament to the skills of the effects people was that nothing came close to Dragonslayer in terms of stop-motion animation until Tim Burton did The Nightmare Before Christmas.

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Steve, you could get away with a lot in a PG before the PG-13 was introduced. See Jaws for another example.

10. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"I don't know how it got a PG rating with a male ass shot, a female ass and part chest shot, and a few pretty violent scenes."

There's bare-asses and naked boobies and a T-Rex breaking the kneck of a Stegosaurus in Fantasia and that got a G.

11. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I think it's a great movie, love the music. It's so bombastic at times, very thrilling. I only wish the disc had extras on it; trailer, gallery, documentary, anything!

I like Ian McDiarmid's work in this movie too. Points towards a certain dark lord in the Star Wars movies.

Now you see him..
    [​IMG]

Now he's toast.
    [​IMG]

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Steve, you could get away with a lot in a PG before the PG-13 was introduced. See Jaws for another example."

Or The Bride

I saw Dragonslayer in the theater when I was a kid.Loved it eversince. I watch this film once a year.

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I picked this title up many months ago and it's still in shrink wrap. After reading this thread I must give this disk a spin, and soon.

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Love this movie. Great quality DVD (though no extras AT ALL). Glad to finally have this cult classic on DVD.

Anyone remember my April Fool's joke 2 years back? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I do. It was mean [​IMG] Even if obviously untrue.

Take care,
    Chuck

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I think there are a few HTF members who are permanently emotionally scarred from the experience...

:b

17. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick

Which is too bad. Partly this was the fault of director Matthew Robbins and Paramount: the film wanted to be an adult fanasy (and contains some truly scary and graphic sequences to proove this) but hedged its bets by using an American "hunk" male in the lead (almost completely unconvincing even as a novice sorceror)and a rather bland female co-star, both of whom spouted dumbed-down contemporary dialog. It did not find its audience because it couldn't get straight what it wanted its audience to be. A shame, because, as mentioned, the dragon is magnificent and genuinely frightening. The sequence of the creature crawling on its wings through the cave is just about as good as it gets. Ralph Richardson makes a superb wizard, Peter Eyre a quirky and memorable King, John Hallam a menacing nemesis. And Alex North's eccentric score it terriric.

18. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

DaViD Boulet, I believe I missed it, would you mind filling me in?

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Do you mean Peter MacNicol? If there's one word I've never associated with him, it's "hunk"!

20. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Yeah, I was just thinking that too [​IMG]