What's new

Dragonslayer SE Announced for Dec 2002!!!! (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes fans, apparently Paramount has finally heard our cries. In an "unoffical" interview (official studio announcement expected on 4/3) Matthew Robbins (the director) disclosed that he's been having on-going discussions with Paramount about this title for quite some time. He was hesitent to disclose too many details, but it seems the biggest hold-up was a rights issue between Paramount (who wants to govern DVD video distribution) and Disney who had hoped to gain the rights to release the DVD as well. Apparently whatever issues had been keeping the fans from enjoying this title on DVD have been resolved, because Paramount will be releasing this DVD mid December (exact date will be revealed when the studio makes an "official" announcment on 4/3).
At this time a new print is being produced for a limited-theater re-release in October/November and the new DVD will be mastered from this print. According to Robbins, the SE DVD (a 2-disc set) will include:
A new 16x9 anamorphic picture (2.25:1) downconverted from a hi-definition transfer taken from the new print. When asked specifically, Robbins said he will make sure that *no EE* is applied to the DVD image :)
A bran-new director super-vised 5.1 DD *and* DTS mix!!! Jay Boekelheide, one of the picture's sound editors, will be assisting with the 5.1 remix (indications were hinted at the Paramount may have plans to include DTS on some of their other upcoming titles and may be using Dragonslayer as a their first such title to "test" market demand).
A 5.1 DTS *music only* track of the film's soundtrack.
A "director's cut" of the film with 10 minutes of never-before seen deleted scenes edited back into the film. And get this...Robbins insists that *both* the original *and* the new director's cut will be able to be viewed from the same DVD via seamless branching.
An additional 5 deleted scenes not restored into the director's cut.
Director's commentary
A "Dragonslayer: legend in the making" documentary (60 mins)
The movie traler in 16x9 (no mention of 5.1 DD or DTS but hey...it's a trailer after all...)
Robbins stated there will be some more more goodies he wasn't able to discuss at present but he assured that the 2-disc DVD would be the ultimate collectors edition that the fans have been waiting for. (sigh!)
I know that you all are as excited about this as I am. For more information please see the following link. I can't wait!!!
Interview with Matthew Robbins
-dave

YANG

Screenwriter
PARAMOUNT + DTS???

I have doubts on this.I believe that the remaster soundtrack with DTS surr. will possibly be screen in theaters first.For DVD release,do you think that PARAMOUNT will sign the DTS license just for this title???

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
A 5.1 DTS "music" track along with a Dolby & DTS soundtrack?
Hmm...something smells funny IMO...well let's just say that I'll believe it when I see it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Dragonslayer, along with Altman's "Popeye," was joint-produced by Paramount and Disney.

This must be first, though. Music-only tracks are usually DD or PCM.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Okay, I now know for sure I need to get a life,
because after following the link, which reveals
IT IS AN APRIL FOOL'S JOKE,
I feel like someone stuck a knife in my heart.
:angry:
These kinds of posts need to be banned NOW.
Not locked off, but completely wiped out!
Like Ron E is the Death Star, and this thread
is Alderaan: KABOOOM!
Mark

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Awe c'mon Mark...Apr 1 only comes only once a year...
I've been planning this post for over a week ;)
At least you got it! Most of the posters so far are taking me seriously (we can dream about our ultimate Dragonslayer DVD...after all)...

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I know David. I gotta give you props, that
was brilliant.
And never before has it been so clear to me that I invest
way too much of my happiness in these shiny little discs. ;)
I love Dragonslayer so much, that reading
your post, intially, well, lets just say I was having a
religious experience.
Then, when I clicked the link, I felt like Luke getting
told not only is his pappy not dead, but he is the biggest
a-hole in the universe..
But I had no Cloud City to jump off of. ;)
With admiration for your skills,
Mark
PS: Though, really, you should go back and change Columbia
to at least Buena Vista, since it was they and Paramount
that had differing rights over Dragonslayer,
and that was the first sign that all was not accurate.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
This is a bad April Fool's joke.

I'm cleaning out laserdiscs as they're announced on DVD, so I would have gone home and thrown it away.

Ban this thread.

That was NOT funny.

Mike

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
THAT WAS NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a cruel joke, I got a stiff one and my heart missed a few beats when I saw the thread.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
You would have made a better April Fool's joke by picking a film such as Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark. By picking a title that's more of a cult film, it really lessens the humor. I got more of a laugh out of the Criterion Manos thread.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Not funny, my peep. Although I was suspicious when it got too good to be true. Don't break my little boy heart :frowning:
Where the F is this film???
Take care,
Chuck

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
April Fool's jokes blow, man. Particularly this one. I hope you slip on a banana peel and bump your nose on a VHS tape of Dragonslayer.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR. What? I thought it was funny. Man you people have no sense of humor. But maybe Paramount and Disney will read this thread and start to question why the DVD really isn't available.... And since you did all the work on what to put into the DVD really makes it easier on them...

William Ward

Supporting Actor
The sad part is, if it were made, the part about EE would be true. It's just not a big enough release to warrant making it look good for J6Ps 25" TV set. ;)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
You would have made a better April Fool's joke by picking a film such as Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark. By picking a title that's more of a cult film, it really lessens the humor. I got more of a laugh out of the Criterion Manos thread.

I completely disagree. The point of an AFD joke is to TRICK people. NO ONE is fooled by "Criterion is releasing Manos!" (especially when the phony press release says "a nice featurette").

On the other hand, it also should be something JUST outrageous enough that people feel stupid for believing it. And a SE of Dragonslayer isn't that far out of the realm of possibility.

I give this prank a C+/B-.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to those who didn't enjoy my idea of humor :)
Really my point (in addition to making a joke) was to, for a moment, fantasize myself at what it would look like to read those dreamt of words on the forum...that our beloved Dragonslayer SE had come to life.
I love this title as much as the rest of you!
Hopefully a studio dude will take note at JUST HOW MUCH we want this film on DVD...in all its glory.
Let's pray!
-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks