What's new

Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversay boxed set (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Does anyone have this? I purchased it recently and it's pretty cool. Besides the 3 games, Lair, Lair 2, and Space Ace, I love the fact that they included the old DL episode of Starcade.

I also have a question in terms of how the game performs on people's various equipment. I play mine on a PS2 and the pauses are way longer than the arcade game version. Does anyone experience the long pauses between moves on their equipment too?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't that be Saturday Supercade?

It's simply because DVD-Video is not designed for fast access, while in the arcade they were using an LD-ROM

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Well the show did air on Saturdays but it was called Starcade. Two kids answered questions to win the chance to play an arcade game first(which was important?) and earn points, hosted by Geoff Edwards. It was great seeing this show again after all these years! This particular show aired in early '84. Props to Digital Leisure for including this show on the DVD. Lots of press clippings and video too that immerse you in those bygone days of the early 80's. I had to watch Tron after playing and watching the clips(yes I'm a geek!).

It's simply because DVD-Video is not designed for fast access, while in the arcade they were using an LD-ROM
Hmmm, interesting. I'd think it would be just the opposite, meaning DVD would be faster than what we had 20 years ago with LD's, but hey go figure!

Oh and the disc includes playable cut scenes that weren't included in the original game. Also a brand new scene, which was a MF seeing all of a sudden. I did a Keanu(whoa!).

All in all, this package rules.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
It's Xbox and PS2 compatible, but you also need the DVD kit for the Xbox. You can also use a regular DVD player too. I think in terms of archival copies of these games, this is it. They've included lots of bonus material too so I found the 40 bucks I paid at Best Buy to be worth it.

Scott W.

Second Unit
I recently purchased Dragon's Lair 1 and 2 on E-bay. Both games are PS2 compatible and run fine. It must be a glitch in your PS2.

Scott

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Not that I have a PS2, but a friend does, ergo I have a question. When playing the games on the PS2, do you have to us the DVD remote or can you actually use a proper controller?

Dragon's Lair is historic enough for me to want to pick this up, but I know trying to play it with my DVD remote would be an exercise in frustration.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Mark you can use a PS2 controller to play. The thing that really bothers me about these transfers isn't the slight pause for every move (althought it is annoying), but there is no "beeps and boops" sounds letting you know if it accepted your move or not.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
There's no sounds but there are small icons that appear in the bottom right of the screen indicating whether you made a right or wrong move. For example a small yellow pointer or a sword means you made the right move while a blue pointer or sword means a wrong move.

Something else that's missing is the score keeping. I'm not sure it was ever entirely important to begin with but I thought I'd mention that.

Btw here's some shots from Starcade to jog the memory:

Link

Gotta include a pic of Space Ace! :D

This game rules too. I like the branching in the game that allows you to make different choices.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Phew, I am glad I never saw that Starcade show. I had also assumed the reference was to Saturday's Supercade. Dang, why couldn't they have a Saturday's Supercade episode on there? :p)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Starcade ruled! Where else could you see geeks playing arcade games for a chance to win a dinky metal detector or a dorky videogame seat(God I wish I had a screencap of the picture of the little kid on that seat, funniest thing in all history). Some of the kids reached puberty during the show. In the beginning they'd sound one way and by the time the show ended they sound different(slight exaggeration)! This show also was the king of awkward moments. :D

What exactly is Saturday's Supercade? Sounds familiar.

Edit: Thanks for the info on G4, Todd.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Cool, thanks! Too bad my lame cable provider(Adelphia) doesn't carry G4. I just sent an email request for them to carry it though for what it's worth.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
My, how I hate Starcade. I can't even watch to make fun of it. "Awkward moments" is right. A host who knew nothing about videogames (he's obviously transplanted from other game shows) and contestants who weren't even good players. I came of gaming age around this time, and even the nostalgia at seeing the games of my youth isn't enough to make me watch it.

Just to be on topic, I hated Dragon's Lair back then, too. Loved the graphics, but that wasn't a game you "played", you just moved the joystick at the right moment and got to see more cartoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks