Dragonheart DVD....DTS wont work! It used too!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mickey P, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Mickey P

Mickey P Agent

Ive got a real weird problem I cant figure out. My father in-law came over because he just purchased Dragonheart with DTS sound from Amazon. It did not work so he sent it back and got another. SAME PROBLEM!DTS wont play. When you hit enter after highlighting DTS, it jumps to Dolby Digital instead and starts playing the movie!! You CANNOT hit menu and go back to the language screen unless you shut the movie off and start over again. He called me and asked if he could try the disk in my theater and see if it worked! I got the exact same results! I told him he had a defective disc and grabbed my copy of Dragonheart DTS which I bought a few years ago and popped itin. I knew mine worked because after I bought it, the whole family sat down and watched the movie! I bragged to a lot of people afterward how great that movie sounded in DTS! I would not have kept the movie or stuck it in my 300 disc changer if it did not work! After I fired up my version....low and behold...it did the same thing!! Not only that, but it would NOT even play in 5.1, it only plays in Dolby Surround!! I then tried this disc in my bedroon which has DTS 5.1 capability and the same thing happened!! Can anyone out there tell me what the heck us going on or if they encountered the same problem! Is there a trick to playing this disc I forgot about or something! I watched this movie twice with no problem, but its been sitting a couple years since the last viewing, but IT DID WORK FINE!! I felt like an idiot not being able to get my disc to play in DTS!! Any suggestions anyone? Whats the secret??

2. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Braveheart is not in DTS. [​IMG]

As for your DTS trouble with Dragonheart.....I have no idea. I do know that the Dragonheart DTS disc only has a 2.0 Dolby Surround track on it.

Neil

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Is it possible you've changed the settings on your DVD player (or a long power failure made the player revert back to the factory settings)? Most DVD players need to have a setup item changed to allow the DTS signal to pass out of the player's digital output. Also, make sure that your receiver/amplifier is set up to auto-detect the digital signal and is not simply using the analog inputs.

Also - I'm guessing you meant to write Dragonheart in the thread title, since Braveheart isn't available in DTS. [​IMG]

4. Mickey P

Mickey P Agent

Yes I did mean to write Dragonheart in the thread title....I realized too late I typed the wrong title in!! As for my settings, everything is fine! I can play any other DTS disc and everything works fine! What is this about the DTS disc only having a Dolby surround track on it?? Why would they sell a DTS/DD5.1 disc and then only put Dolby Surround on it? Besides...I DID watch this in DTS!! I watched it twice, once after I bought it and a few days later with some friends! We were blown away how good it sounded!! There has to be an explanation for why its not working now!I sold the first copy of Dragonheart I had to upgrade to the DTS version! It sounded fantastic....It did play in DTS, it wont now though!

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It would be highly unlikely that only the DTS track wouldn't play if the disc were defective (and since you say it's played in DTS previously, it's definite the DTS track is on there). There must be some setting issue on the player or receiver preventing it from playing the DTS track on this particular disc. Rather than just trying other DTS discs, why not double-check the player's and receiver's settings?

6. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Dragonheart is a full bit-rate DTS DVD. To accommodate that and still provide a nice picture and to meet the DVD spec which states all DVD's must have a Dolby Digital track on it for compatibility with all players, they decided to give it a 2.0 Dolby track. At the time this was not uncommon. I think the DTS titles also had fewer extras, so the bit-budget would not be wasted.

Neil

7. Mickey P

Mickey P Agent

I dont need to check the players settings!! All my other DTS discs play fine! The more I think about it, there was something odd about this disc as far as getting to the DTS track, but Im at a loss as to what it was. I appreciate the responses, but there has to be someone out there that knows the trick to getting this to work.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Title edited to say "Dragonheart" instead of "Braveheart".

M.

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If I remember correctly, some early DTS only DVDs from Universal had a confusing opening menu where you were to choose either the DTS track or Dolby Digital 2.0 track. You had to be careful that you selected the correct track (sometimes the color of the highlighted track was counter-intuitive). Sometimes the highlighted track was Dolby 2.0 by default.

Just humor us and go back into your DVD player's setup menu (no disc in the drive). Go to your digital audio output menu and make sure DTS is set to either bitstream or ON, dependant upon your manufacturer.

Dan

10. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    On the Dragonheart disc's initial soundtrack selection screen, the soundtrack you choose is the 'faded' option (ie. the option with the white hazey overlay), not the clear option. I know this has caught many people out in the past.

Adam

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Adam probably just figured out the problem [​IMG]

12. Mickey P

Mickey P Agent

YUP!!! Adam got it all right!! Man , I cant believe that! I knew it was something stupid...but I just did not think it was that. I kept highlighting DTS and the 2.0 track kept kicking in!! Thanks for that! Man I was getting frustrated! I passed the info onto my father in law also and now hes happy as a clam!!

13. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Is this DVD going to be re-released? Just wondering as my first messed up (stopped playing) and since its out of print i (of course) havent seen it for quite some time

14. Mickey P

Mickey P Agent

I dont know if its going to be re-released or not but my father in law had been looking for it for awhile! The only place he found that had the DTS version in stock and for sale was at Amazon! You had better get it fast if you want it as there is no way to know how many copies they have left!