Dragonheart dts vs. dd bass question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Wilmes, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased this on ebay after reading reviews and recommendations from people on the forum and I compared it to the DD version I already had using an SPL meter and was very surprised by the outcome.The bass on the DD version was almost 5 db higher than the same scenes of the dts version.According to WS Review and other members of the forum this shouldn't be the case.Could this be my receiver's fault?I am using a Marantz SR7000 and was thinking it may be a bass management issue.I know that dts is not always better but I thought in this case it was.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It sounds like you have some or all of your speakers set to "large". On your receiver you should have the speakers set to "small".
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 13, 2001 at 11:15 AM]

3. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I'm not too familiar with marantz products,but I know there are receivers that allow you to set the LFE for DD and DTS seperate.Do you have any other DTS dvd's that seem to lack in bass also or is it just the Dragonheart disc?I'm sure that the LFE for DTS just isn't set up correct 'cause Dragonheart DTS in my theater kills the DD version.Let me know [​IMG]

4. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I've seen this brief reply before and its got me thinking.
    He didn't even say what speakers he has. At what size should speakers be set to Large? I've got Klipsch RF-3s, should these be set to small to?
    Am I missing something or is this one of those personal preference type things?
    Thanks

5. Rich Stone

Rich Stone Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps Phillip knows something we don't - hard to make a blanket statement like that without knowing which speakers are being used. I would guess that it is a setup issue in the Marantz. Not familiar with it though so I can't offer specific advice.
    Rich

6. Patrick Wilmes

I am using MB Quart speakers all the way around and I do have the mains set to small and the lfe to 0db.I have at least 20 dts titles and this is the only one that I have noticed the bass lacking,with the exception of the first JP dts which I have already replaced and it sounds incredible.Hope this helps.

7. David-alexander

David-alexander Stunt Coordinator

8. Patrick Wilmes

Thanks David,that's exactly what I was looking for.I guess louder does not always mean better.

9. David-alexander

David-alexander Stunt Coordinator

you're most welcome !
    [​IMG]

10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    This soundtrack proves that subtlety (sp?) can go a long way. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You bought fish boots...