What's new

Dragonball Z and Dragon Ball! (1 Viewer)

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I think the shows equate to "popcorn" entertainment.
There are story arcs to follow, which helps over the long haul. Otherwise the humor in the characters and situations play like any sitcom such as Friends or Scrubs.
I don't think it's groundbreaking or even very good in general. It IS fun, and funny, however. So, it's a great way to unwind before bed. I watch the Midnight Run on CN.
As I sit here thinking about it, and blowing off work, the way Goku and Gohan(and all of the characters)live to fight --though never or rarely taking it seriously(they fight for the fun/challenge-- sort of reminds me of Cheech and Chong, or Half-Baked.
These guys were ALWAYS in some kind of trouble. Cops, Dealers, Psycho chicks, whatever. They ALWAYS had time for weed, though. :D
Crazy parallel, if you can call it one. I enjoy the way the characters will be in the middle of some huge quest, but take time to throw down and fight monsters or each other, and get so such a laugh out of it.(more common in DB than DBZ)
It's pretty mindless, and therefore doesn't hold a candle to other more mature animation, such as Eva or Bugs Bunny. It's still decent entertainment.
I'm starting the Bebop series on DVD, tonight. I expect that will be very good, too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One thing I find interesting about DBZ is the animation quality and how non-anime fans look at it. For instance, my dad and brother hate anime, mainly because of the art/animation (and the usually bad dubbing). I was watching DBZ a while ago (like a year or two) and my dad walked in the room and said something about how bad the animation was, then I reminded him of the high-quality shows the Americans made in the late 1980's and told him to compare DBZ to those. After seeing Captain Planet again last night, I can definitely say that Americans were no better at creating animated TV shows for children than the Japanese.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks