Dragonball Z and Dragon Ball!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terrell, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Anyone here enjoy any of these shows? For some reason, the other day I watched an episode of Dragon Ball, and it had me laughing me butt off. It was the Muscle Tower episode where young Goku was fighting the ninja Murasaki. Absolutely hilarious.

Then I watched an episode of Dragonball Z and was hooked. I have no idea why. I thought I was too old to ever watch those, although I watch Looney Tunes. Am I nuts, or does anyone else like these shows?

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I guess not. [​IMG]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Looney Tunes were originally written for adults, hate to tell you [​IMG]
    You'll grow out of Dragonball [​IMG]

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I was into DBZ for a little bit, but not that long after, I really started to hate it. I found "better" anime and realized how bad DBZ really was.

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Dragonball is the one that really had me howling at the rafters. The couple of episodes that I saw were just so hilarious. I have no idea why I got hooked on that one episode. I guess you're right. I'll grow out of it. But I'm not big on anime. I've seen Outlaw Star, Akira, and some other TV anime and haven't cared for them. I think Morgan and I had this discussion.[​IMG]

6. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

I also enjoy DB and DBZ. I try not to miss a new episode of either on the Cartoon Network. The show isn't a masterpiece of what anime has to offer, but I find it good fun. With the Cartoon Network now showing more and more anime in their Toonami and Adult Swim blocks, there definitely has never been a better time for anime on TV.

7. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I was beginning to wonder if I was weird Patrick. I think the reason I like DBZ is because of the characters and the fights. I can't wait to see how things are gonna turn out the next episode. As for DB, the episode I saw with young Goku fighting Murasaki in the Muscle Tower was just too hilarious. God, when Murasaki jumped in the air with his blade ready to attack Goku, and Goku stuck his stick in the ground and backed up, Murasaki came down on that stick and started screaming and jumping around with that big stick halfway up his butt, I thought I'd die.[​IMG] Hilarious stuff. I wish they were all that funny. But only the episodes with ninja Murasaki were really hilarious. However, those are the only episodes I've actually seen except for the one that wasn't funny.

8. Patrick Cate

I just wanted to add that if you get the "International Channel" on your cable network, they show unedited Dragonball Z episodes twice a week. It is in it's original Japanese without subtitles, but is still fun to watch. It's also further along in the series right now, than where the Cartoon Network is.

9. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

You know what? Just like you Terrell, I was channel surfing and came across Dragonball. Since I like any form of anime, I started watching the episode.

I liked how this character Goku was a cute little boy with a funny voice that was very strong and powerful and yet very innocent and naive. And Krillin is even cuter and his voice is just funnier sounding as well.

To make a long story short, I was hooked. I watched the whole Muscle Tower saga without missing an episode.

Then I started watching Dragonball Z and found out that they were the characters from Dragonball all grown up. And there was a lot more action. I was hooked on this one as well.

I'm now recording both shows every day at 6 and 6:30 PM EST.

When are the new episodes aired?

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Umm...DBZ ran in 1985, so I don't think there are any "new" episodes in DB or DBZ.

11. Andres Munoz

Oh really? Did not know that.

Patrick Cate said something about new episodes. Maybe I misunderstood.

12. Jeff Kleist

There are newly dubbed episodes

Morgan Dragonball was 1985, DBZ ran from the late 80s to 94 or so, which then led into Dragonball GT. They all sucked equally, though all had great opening theme songs totally thrown out for the US version (despite the availability of recorded English versions). Dragonball GT's song is done by one of my favorite Japanese groups, Field of View

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Oh...well anyhoo, they are dubbing new episodes but the series is still pretty old.

I'm sorry, but when a series of this quality goes to just under 300 episodes, someone has to realize that Satan is at work.

14. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I watch DBZ through Cartoon Network so there's plenty of episodes I haven't seen before. I'm hooked on it, too. Why you ask? I...don't...know. [​IMG] My biggest gripe w/DBZ is how they drag the plot throughout the season. For example, 1 fight could last a weeks worth of DBZ eps! Still like the show...
    OT, Several years ago, my friend brought over an Amime movie that I can't remember the name of. Maybe you can figure it out: There's a worm like alien in the movie that merges with any being and gives that being unbelievable strength and morphing ability. The movie was incredibly graphic and my jaw was on the floor throughout the movie. Anyone know what it is?

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

16. Patrick Cate

A couple months ago Cartoon Network went back and started replaying DBZ from the begining. Probably to buy time until they can finish dubbing enough DB & DBZ for broadcast. Right now on DBZ they're in the Freeza saga. After that there's the Cell saga, and then the Boo saga where CN is only part way through. On DB they're only up to part of the Red Ribbon army saga. I don't expect new episodes for either DB or DBZ until the fall, but if you've missed out on either series this is a great time to get caught up. Also, as I mentioned in my previous post, you can check out unedited (Japanese language, no subtitles) DBZ on the International Channel. They're current farther along in the Boo saga than CN. And yes Allen you right, DBZ is pretty famous for spreading out battles over many many episodes. Since DB is more of a adventure than action series, it doesn't suffer as much from this.

17. Andres Munoz

I was a little upset about Dragonball going back to episode 1 after following its storyline for a good month. The last episode I saw was Bulma and Krillin waiting for Goku in the small submarine inside the pirates cave. The next day CN replayed the first episode of the series!!!!

I guess they're dubbing more episodes. It's frustrating nonetheless.

I agree with the dragging on of the episodes. In DBZ, Goku has been what seems like WEEKS in that ship training and he hasn't gotten to Namek yet!!! I love the Freeza saga but they have to move things along damn it!

18. Jeff Kleist

Well, look at it this way:

In Japan, DBZ was shown 1 episode a week, every week for years. No reruns, no nothing

So feel lucky that when it's new they don't drag a fight out for months instead of days

19. Andres Munoz

1 episode a week??? Holy Christ! The Freeza saga must have taken a year to be broadcasted in its entirety!

Does anyone know how the Dragonball series (all of them) were regarded in Japan?

20. Jeff Kleist

They were regarded as mindless entertainment for the most part. While it was on it was popular, but it's pretty much forgotten now.