Dragon Warrior VII

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Has anyone else here actually played this one? I finally got back to it a couple of weeks ago, and at this point I'm 75 hours in with no end to the game in sight (haven't even started disc 2 yet). I have to say that not only is this one of the best console RPGs I've played, but I think it definitely wins as the longest. Just an incredible title.

2. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I am going to buy this used sometime - when you're done, I'll buy it off you (anyone else got one to sell?) the main reason I'm getting a PS2 one of these days is for all the PS One RPG goodness.
    Now i just need to figure out a way to get 80+ free hours to play it without getting fired or having to sleep on the couch for a week or so. [​IMG]

3. Chris Bardon

Well, one of the best things about it (at least for the first part of the game) is that it plays out like a series of shorter quests that divide up nicely (i.e. you can do one, and then come back later and do another etc.). They refer to each other, and there is an overreaching plot that develops (and presumably plays out on disc 2), but so far I'd say that it reminds me of Chrono Trigger crossed with legend of Mana (this is the game that Legend of Mana seemed to want to be).

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I have this one sitting on the shelf waiting to be played. With the flood of large RPG's (Neverwinter, Morrowind so forth so on) being released its gonna have to wait a bit to get some play time from me. I played through about an hour of it when I firts bought it and I liked it. I just need to find time to play it...[​IMG]

5. Chris Bardon

Honestly, I've played around with both Neverwinter and Morrowind for a while, and I'd have to say that DW7 beats both of them from an initial impression. I've never been a huge D&D fan, and outside of Torment, never really enjoyed the other D&D games.

Strange though-I'd think that the first hour of DW7 might turn people off of the game. It's a little TOO peaceful (you don't see your first combat until about 30+ minutes into the game). Honestly, a few interface changes is all this game was really missing. Some nicer graphics might have helped, but I kinda like the retro look.

Now, if only we knew anything about DW VIII...

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. Chris Bardon