What's new

Dragnet '67 packaging: Good news & bad? (1 Viewer)

The packaging for "Dragnet 1967" is up at TVShowsOnDVD.com. I'm not allowed yet to post the URL, but everyone probably knows how to find it.

Looks like both good news and bad. I'll start with the bad (because I'm a hopeless nitpicker).

1) The name of the series is "Dragnet 1967" not "'67." I had to pull teeth to get IMDb.com to change it from the contracted version, and now Universal goes and calls it that. Ugh.

2) Why does the badge say "Detective"? Oh, yeah, because it was lifted from the artwork prepared for the aborted release of the Dick Wolf version. Sorry, but the badge should say "Sergeant." It looks totally out of place.

Now the possible good news: the image of the police vehicles on the front and spine is from the Made-for-TV Movie "Dragnet 1966." Can someone verify if this is included in this set? That would certainly justify the otherwise high list price (a full-season price for a half-season's worth of episodes).

Michael

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Michael:

Looks like they read your post! Just received the DVD today and the badge says Sergeant, and the date is 1967.

Now I hope the AV quality is good on the discs.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Michael, a little bad news for you. The menu shot says 1967, but the badge says "Detective." On the bright side, the first episode looked pretty good on my set.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm so happy to have this show on DVD I blew through all 17 episodes in no time flat when I got it on Wednesday.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I haven't gone through the set quite that fast but I'm through 11 episodes. Not having seen the series since it left TV Land's airwaves, it's really great to have this set. Despite the sloppy layout of the episodes on the discs (14 on disc 1, and just 3 on disc 2 -- with nothing on the second side!), in the end it's the episodes that count and Dragnet delivers. I'm really happy that Universal is starting to release older shows from its catalog on DVD. Let's hope that Season 1 sells well and that all of the seasons of this classic are released on DVD.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I definitely agree with this, the first time I saw the 50's version was on a public domain DVD not all that long ago, and I'd definitely love to see it all.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I know this is an old thread, but here's a packaging-related query: How come the packaging lists all the episodes on the Dragnet 1967 set with episode titles starting with "The Big" something-or-other? I know that was the style for the 1950s series, but Nick at Nite/TV Land and Columbia House (at least) used the titles "The LSD Story" for the "Blue Boy" episode and "The Bullet" for the locked-room story from season one. Now, they're called something like "The Big LSD" and "The Big Bullet."

Is this another Universal screw-up, or are there alternate episode titles for the series?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Thanks--I knew some of them were supposed to be "The Big etc."--but not all!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Resurrecting and old thread here, does anyone have any info on Dragnet 1968?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks