What's new

Dragnet 1967 Repackaged & Rereleased - What's Next? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
This is taking the topic even further off topic (Technically it's about the repackaging of season 1 and not even the season 2 release), but how much of the radio program is now available?

I know there were several episodes considered lost a few years ago. Is it available in it's entirety on the internet now?

Average runtime appears to be close to 29 minutes. Wonder if that means that it's going to have some bonus content or it's more inaccurate estimations like we've seen before from Shout's marketing team (Such as the Leave it to Beaver incident a few weeks ago).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
"The collection runs approximately 810 minutes long"
I'm not aware of typical practices since I don't pay enough attention to such things to take note of them, but from the wording you wouldn't know that they're just talking about the episodes themselves. So perhaps they did take into account some bonus content?

I'm sure that you're right though. They're not known for providing accurating estimations of running time in the past.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Looking at this entry, I just realized that Shout! may be on the verge of making an unforgivable blunder. The set lists 28 episodes for Season 2, but there should be 29 episodes of S2. The much beloved "Christmas Story" was a S2 episode but because the show was repeated the next two years in primetime, the title and end credits replaced the original "Dragnet-1968" card and Lyn Murray arrangement of the theme music from S1-2 with first a "Dragnet-1969" and then a "Dragnet-1970" card with the S3-4 Frank Comstock arrangement of the theme. In all syndicated prints of the episode including even the uncut one on Hulu, the episode still has its final "Dragnet-1970" card but it is properly a "Dragnet-1968" episode and if it is not included in this set, then Shout! will have REALLY dropped the ball on this one.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
"28 episodes" was my own count, taken from epguides.com:
http://epguides.com/dragnet/

Just to be clear, that count is in my story because of me taking that count from epguides, not because of anything that was said from Shout! Factory. I included the count because epguides is usually reliable, and I thought the number would be helpful. So please don't blame Shout for that count. In fact, I didn't get any info from Shout in this particular case, just from the Amazon listing.

The "810 minute" thing comes also from the Amazon listing, and I'll repeat something that I said recently in another thread (also about a Shout title, IIRC): those running times given to retailers for pre-order listings ARE GUESSTIMATES. They come from the marketing people, using some cockamamie formula they have for the purpose. The *real* running times aren't known yet, because the DVDs aren't produced. Heck, the source material for these episodes probably isn't even done being screened yet, much less timed. So please don't get caught up in the "810 minutes" thing too much; it may or may not bear any resemblance to reality when all is said and done.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Okay, I did some more checking and now I know where the real source of confusion is, and to my relief it has nothing to do with the "Christmas Story." The 29th episode originally *produced* for S2 "The Joy Riders" was originally scheduled to air on April 4, 1968 and was pre-empted for news coverage of Martin Luther King's assassination. The episode was held back until S3 and didn't air until February 13, 1969. My apologies for the needless concern about "The Christmas Story" which for all "Dragnet" fans represents the show at its finest.

S

silverking

Don't want to drag this thread off subject but thought the following might be of interest to fans of the 50's series.

I understand it hasn't been seen in the US since the 60's but over here in the UK a number of episodes were screened in the 80's.

One episode 'The Big Grandma' was shown on C4 as part of an anthology evening.I actually taped it, then copied it onto another tape for reasons I can't remember. This copy, I have, over the years copied many times for other fans in the States.

I was surprised to find it actually turn up in DVD form on the Mill Creek 150 Greatest Detectives PD release a few years back. I know it is from my copy by the tape dropout,& pre advert break cues in the top right hand corner.Also the quick-cut off to eliminate the station logo at the end.The copy Mill Creek used must be 4th gen & transfered from PAL.

London Weekend then ran a number of 50's episodes in a late night slot. Some of these have since appeared on PD releases but a number have not. Regretably, I only taped a few of them & all bar one of those I recorded have since been issued on various PD labels. From what I can recall the episodes screened were haphazard.It may be that London Weekend had these in their vault.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've only bothered with one PD set of Dragnet 50s episodes, the Madacy 25 episode one only because it's the most comprehensive. Granted there are a few random ones here and there on other sets, but given the overall quality I don't think its worth scouring just to find more here and there. But if we one day see the original masters used for a new release, that of course would be another matter.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
What season of Dragnet did the 1966 TV Movie air? Could someone- Dave perhaps- find out if Shout will include the 1966 Dragnet TV movie on the Season 2 set? Is it possible, it looks like it may be to me, that the cover art on the Season 2 set is from the 1966 TV Movie? I would like to see the TV Movie included. Thanks in advance to anyone with some information on this subject!

God Bless!

Robert

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The TV movie didn't air on NBC until 1969, during the show's third season, but it did not air in the show's regular timeslot and is not part of the regular Dragnet syndication package so releasing that would require I would think a separate deal entirely (just as Shout! was not able to release the two McHale's Navy theatrical films).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
That movie was the pilot what became Dragnet 1967 wasn't it?

I would hope to see it be included in one of these season sets.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, Universal themselves screwed up by not putting that in the first box set.

I mean, chronologically, the movie was the pilot for the series, and since season 1 was a short season, the Dragnet '67 box set would have been the perfect place for it.

But, didn't happen, so I guess we have to hope Shout can license the film for the Dragnet '69 box set.

Speaking of made for TV movies not part of the regular syndication package, Shout was able to get The Facts of Life Goes to Paris for the upcoming fourth season of that show, so hopefully they will be able to do the same for the Dragnet tv movie.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

The TV movie didn't air on NBC until 1969, during the show's third season, but it did not air in the show's regular timeslot and is not part of the regular Dragnet syndication package so releasing that would require I would think a separate deal entirely (just as Shout! was not able to release the two McHale's Navy theatrical films).
Yes, but they did include the Ironside pilot movie which is not part of the Ironside syndication package. So it seems to be on a case by case basis. I'll be curious to see if they include The Priest Killer which was the season 5 premiere as well as serving as the second pilot for the Sarge series. This also is in syndication in a movie package and not with either series.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Speaking of made for TV movies not part of the regular syndication package, Shout was able to get The Facts of Life Goes to Paris for the upcoming fourth season of that show, so hopefully they will be able to do the same for the Dragnet tv movie.
Are you sure of that? When I first discovered the show on the USA Network in the 1990s and later on Nick at Nite, TVLand, and finally Hallmark, all four showed the Paris movie split up into 4 episodes and inserted into the appropriate location in season 4. At least two of them also handled the Australian movie pretty similarly.

I would think it's part of the regular syndication package or it would probably of been unseen since (Like the MacGyver movies), or at the very least been a special event and be shown as a 2 hour movie rather then being shown as normal episodes in the correct location in the episode running order.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Danny, "The Priest Killer" will be included in Madman's season five set. This inclusion gives me hope that we'll see both parts of "Five Days in the Death of Sgt. Brown" if/when season six is released. Hopefully, the original Bold Ones (another show I'd love to see on DVD)
opening/closing credits will be included.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ToddR2

Danny, "The Priest Killer" will be included in Madman's season five set. This inclusion gives me hope that we'll see both parts of "Five Days in the Death of Sgt. Brown" if/when season six is released. Hopefully, the original Bold Ones (another show I'd love to see on DVD)opening/closing credits will be included.

If and when Madman gets that far in their releases, I'm not sure what will happen with that. It's certainly a different situation. Unlike other crossover 2-parters, where Universal would put all of the parts in one of the packages, like Marcus Welby/Owen Marshall where both parts of the 2 two-parters were made Marcus Welbys or 6 Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman for instance, they never did anything with the 2nd part which aired on The Bold Ones. It's not syndicated in either the Ironside package or The Bold Ones package. This also leads me to believe that they may have re-edited the Ironside episode to make it a self contained story with a logical conclusion instead of a cliffhanger part one. Making it even less likely, do we really think that there is anyone involved with putting these DVDs together (Madman, Shout or whoever it is) that even knows of the existence of this 2-part crossover? Its one thing to grab an already mastered movie from a movie package and put it in with the series but in this case I fear it would require a bit more knowledge and expense than either company would be able to put forward.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
We're a little off-field from "Dragnet" now, but I'll add to this general point about including crossover parts or not. It all depends on whether tape masters exist for the other show. We already saw how Shout! did not include the conclusion of the "Adam-12" story that ended on "The D.A." because the show was never transferred to tape masters and they couldn't afford the cost of transferring from the film master.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

We're a little off-field from "Dragnet" now, but I'll add to this general point about including crossover parts or not. It all depends on whether tape masters exist for the other show. We already saw how Shout! did not include the conclusion of the "Adam-12" story that ended on "The D.A." because the show was never transferred to tape masters and they couldn't afford the cost of transferring from the film master.
Exactly. So that doesn't bode well for the Bold Ones conclusion to the Ironside episode.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
For my 10th Anniversary being here on Home Theater Forum, I offer up this...

If this Dragnet 1968 release does, indeed, hold up well for July...then under the tree it goes for XMAS, along with Seasons 2 and 3 of Ironside. Believe me when I say, for me, this works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks