What's new

Dracula: Prince Of Darkness Aspect Ratio... (1 Viewer)

Robert Saccone

Premium
I am seeing something funny with Dracula: Prince Of Darkness on my Panasonic RP91. The cover says 2.35:1 aspect ratio but on my Mits 16x9 (connected via component cables with progressive scan enabled on the player) the black bars are about triple the size I usually see with this apect ratio. The picture looks very squashed. It is almost as if the disc does not have the proper flags set for the player. If I use the zoom function on the RP91 it looks better but it also makes the grain more apparent.

Anyone else experience this?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The aspect ratio on the transfer is actually a little less than 2.35 - it's more like 2.1 or so. They did this because supposedly the film has some extreme distortion at the edges due - to the Techniscope lenses used - and they thought it was better to crop it out. Also, the DVD is NOT enhanced for 16x9 televisions, which accounts for why you are getting a "squashed" picture. You need to watch it the same way you watch any non-enhanced letterbox source. That should clear up the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks