Dracula (2020) BBC Miniseries (from creators of "Sherlock")

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've read a couple of mixed reviews: i.e., it starts strong and each subsequent episode is worse than the previous one, but I'm sure I'll check it out. 4 1/2 hours isn't a great time expenditure.

Reactions: Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've read a couple of mixed reviews: i.e., it starts strong and each subsequent episode is worse than the previous one, but I'm sure I'll check it out. 4 1/2 hours isn't a great time expenditure.
Well, as it goes on it turns more into a sappy love story than a horror story.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
A brilliant series- may be hard to beat for 2020. Each episode is set in a different century.Loved every minutes of this series. Dracula like you have never seen him before.

Reactions: Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just getting around to watching this now. Finished the first episode tonight and loved most every minute of it. After a few initial misgivings as they began, it moved on pretty well.

"Dracula" was a favorite novel of mine in college, and I wrote a major paper on the novel, so I've always been kind of critical of adaptations. They've certainly taken some liberties with the material, but I really enjoyed this variation of the story (so far).

LOVE that there is no mistaking this Dracula as some sort of romantic lead (again, so far). He's an out-and-out monster and embraces it completely.

I also love that the traditional methods of defense against vampires seem to work (crosses, stakes, must be invited in) and instead of just accepting that and moving on, that they're trying to discover the reasons WHY those things work. I'll be interested to see where they take that (if they follow through).

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Enjoyed the second episode as well. They've made it so different that it's really it's own thing, which doesn't bother me a bit. They've taken the rather stale story (due to excessive adaptation) and, instead of retelling it yet again, realize that most already know it by heart and are instead using it as only a framework. It's almost like the extended version of the story with all the deleted scenes reinserted (such as the voyage of the Demeter, which is the focus of this entire episode while just briefly addressed in the novel and in most adaptations).

Dolly Wells is a hoot as Agatha, as is the actor playing Dracula (Claes Bang). Given the twist at the end, I really can't wait to see what they do with the finale.

You can't eat 'em all. ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, it was an interesting ride, but they kind of ran out of steam toward the end. I'm not quite sure if that's because this episode had practically nothing to do with the original story, or if the extended plot just wasn't that interesting to me, especially with the jump forward in time. I've never thought Dracula worked very well in a modern setting. Though it was kind of funny to see how easily Dracula adapted to the new time period. Most stories play the "man out of time" as confused and frightened by new technologies.

I was a bit confused when Seward kept getting calls from Jonathan Harker. I kept waiting for Harker or a descendant to appear, but I guess that was just the ID of "the institute" trying to call him.

Throughout Claes Bang's performance, I kept thinking "Pierce Brosnan". His voice sounded nearly identical and his looks were similar. Not a bad thing, but just a bit distracting.

Reactions: AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BAP
Hated they changed the original premise ! Made Van Helsing a female...... dull and boring ! And the modern aspect was totally a bore..... The only true Dracula...........
s-l1000.jpg
david+peel+the+brides+of+dracula+peter+cushing+hammer+films.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16