What's new

'Dracula 2000' commentary, what's with the disclaimer from Beuna Vista? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
O'.k. I was just about to listen to the commentary on Dracula 2000, and when I selected the commentary option, it then took me to a screen with a disclaimer from Beuna Vista saying that "The comments and veiws in this commentary does not represent views expressed by Beuna Vista" or something like that.
What's up with that? Are they going to put this on all their dvd's with commentary tracks from now on, or does the director of Dracula 2000 mention something bad about them in the commentary?
Well, i'm off to watch the commentary, so I guess i'll see.
------------------
So madly in love with Estella Warren!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, I just finished the commentary, and at the risk of answering my own thread, I think I understand the reason for the disclaimer.
********SPOILERS AHEAD!!*********
As far as I can tell, Beuna Vista did this because of the filmmakers vision that Dracula was actually Judas from the Bible, and were afraid that people with religeous beliefs might be offended by this decision, and wanted to distance themselves from the film, so they wouldn't get hit with phone calls, e-mails, and snail mails from angry viewers. That's what it seemd like to me anyway, but someone else might have a different opinion.
He He, I started a thread, and ended up answering my own question!
------------------
So madly in love with Estella Warren!

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
No, actually the discalimer is becoming standard on Disney commentaries. It just cover their butt in case someone make a inflamitory comment, which is interpeted slanderous somewhere down the line. I wouldn't be surprised if other studios eventually put these discalimers on their discs.
Love those lawyer!
Daniel L

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Emperor's New Groove and Get Over It both have the disclaimer- it even has the option to go "back" after reading it, like someone might decide not to listen to it because of all the bad things it says :)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Dan's right, Buena Vista is putting this on all their commentaries now, and although Im not 100% certain, Im pretty sure you can thank Kevin Smith and company for this new policy! :)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I saw the disclaimer on the Chocolat AC too. I assumed it was because David Brown said he didn't care if a movie might make $100 million, he wouldn't make it unless he thought it had a story to tell.
I assumed BVHS didn't want their shareholders to think they shared Mr. Brown's aversion to profit. :)
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Im pretty sure you can thank Kevin Smith and company for this new policy!
The Clerks audio commentary (released by BV) didn't really insult people.
Mallrats was Universal, so that doesn't count.
Chasing Amy was released by Criterion, so that doesn't count.
Dogma was bleeped and released by CTHV, so that doesn't count. :)
Clerks: TAS was bleeped and they really only insulted Hans, the lawyer, and ABC.
biggrin.gif

So you can't really thank Kevin Smith and company.
frown.gif
:)
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I just remembered the documentary on the Mallrats disc had a disclaimer saying basically it didn't represent the views of Universal.

David Prior

Insider
As an alternative to censorship (which, believe it or not, does happen), I'll take the disclaimers. I've left a long, bloody trail of fighting to keep commentaries whole and if a disclaimer would shut the lawyers up, I say bring 'em on.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
quote: Dogma was bleeped and released by CTHV, so that doesn't count.
But didn't Buena Vista have some say in the content of the DVD anyway (since they originated the project)? I thought they were primarily responsible for forcing the hand of CTHV to leave off the documentary.
Either way, leave it to Disney to be the first studio to disclaimer their commentaries. I don't think anyone would argue that they're the model of overprotective behavior.
= Derek =
------------------
[Edited last by Derek Miner on August 28, 2001 at 12:38 PM]

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
In the Fight Club commentary, when Chuck Pahlinuik mentions who Marla Singer was based on, they bleeped out the name.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks