What's new

Dr. Who (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I am interested in this series; has the early 60's seasons/episodes/serials been released on disc? I'd really like to start at the beginning.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
All surviving episodes from 1963-1989 have been released usually on a story basis not season. Some more than once eg later Special Edition.

As is common with many programmes from the era many episodes has their master TX copies wiped to reuse the video tape. Whilst many have been recovered c.97 episodes across the first 2 B&W doctors remain missing.

Where some people used to audio record tv programmes all missing episodes exist in a CD format.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
The USA version boxset of the first 3 stories/serials.

Attachments

• IMG_8521.JPG
    IMG_8521.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 55

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The BBC also recently reconstructed an entire missing serial using flash animation and have stated their intention to do more in this manner.

...asuming of course no more kiniscopes turn up from some forgetten tv station in Africa ala The Enemy of the World.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
To be quite honest though, you're better off starting with Spearhead From Space instead of An Unearthly Child. Even at four episodes it's a dull, turgid mess.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The BBC also recently reconstructed an entire missing serial using flash animation and have stated their intention to do more in this manner.

...asuming of course no more kiniscopes turn up from some forgetten tv station in Africa ala The Enemy of the World.

And some bastard scumbag collector doesn't steal them out from under the BBC again.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
All the existing stories have been released, but here in the states a large percentage are out of stock.

It took thirteen years to release the 140+ stories (out of 155 or 160 - the actual number is open to interpretation).

I believe all the releases are still available from the U.K. (PAL R2)

Many streaming services - Amazon, Netflix, ITunes, Britbox carry some of the episodes.

Note, most of the classic stories are comprised of 4-6 "1/2 hour" episodes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
To be quite honest though, you're better off starting with Spearhead From Space instead of An Unearthly Child. Even at four episodes it's a dull, turgid mess.
I'm actually a big fan of the actual episode "An Unearthly Child". It's an interesting introduction to the franchise, with the layers of what's going on peeled back in an intriguing way. "The Cave of Skulls" through "The Firemaker" leave a lot to be desired, though.

Because of the nature of classic "Who", most of the serials have a lot of repetition, padding and artificial cliffhangers.

The recent animated reconstruction of The Power of the Daleks, combined with the audio track from the original broadcast, created the only high-definition version of a Second Doctor serial. It's one of the better early "Who" serials, and the animation draws you in, even if it's herky-jerky and overly static like a lot of Flash animation.

Spearhead From Space is a novelty as the only classic "Who" serial in HD, and it looks great on Blu-Ray. But the 25fps to 24fps slowdown makes the already slow pacing just a little bit slower. Jon Pertwee is terrific in it, though.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I am interested in this series; has the early 60's seasons/episodes/serials been released on disc? I'd really like to start at the beginning.

As David said, everything has been released, but the only way you'll be able to buy them all at normal prices is to collect the Region 2 PAL versions. This will require, at least, a region-free player. Ideally, you'd want a player (and TV) that can both play the PAL format natively, to enjoy the full picture resolution (without any standards conversion).

Most of the R2 releases can be had really cheap on Amazon.co.uk. I switched to R2 releases long before any of the R1s went out-of-print, not just for picture quality, but also because even then, they were much less expensive than the US releases. Now, all the OOP US discs are even more expensive (at inflated collector prices).

If you can't/won't do region-free, then your next best option is streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks