What's new

Dr Who On Blu Ray & DVD. (1 Viewer)

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
After not watching many years i have started to collect Dr Who on DVD & Blu Ray. Man i so surprised how good this show really is right from the very first Dr Who up until present day (although i am concentrating on classic Who for now).
The love and attention that is afforded to every release is unbelievable, even the hunt for lost episodes is intriguing, and has taken those involved all over the world.
So here is a thread for any other Who fans here, lets see how it goes?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its annoying that they rushed out Enemy of the World and Web of Fear without any special features and do not plan to reissue them in the future.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Not every release.

They cheaped out on the final release, Underwater Menace. However, BBC America gave us one final good one with the animated reconstruction of Power of the Daleks.

The last several releases were hybrids of existing episodes and 'representations' of missing episodes.

For most of these, the 'representations' were in the form of animation using the original audio.

For the episode in The Web of Fear, it was a modified 'slide show' of stills that employed rapid cuts, zooms, pans, and limited animation, once again using the original audio.

For The Underwater Menace, it was a no frills static slide show with the original audio. The absurd thing is the team offered to do a better version at no additional cost (similar to TWOF), and were explicitly told not to.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
I am still confident that at some point episode three of WOF will turn up at some point.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am still confident that at some point episode three of WOF will turn up at some point.

Nope.

Some worthless bastard "collector" supposedly got his hands on it right before the BBC did, because WOF was complete when they first saw it, and those bastards never let things go. Hope the film broke and the projector burned the first time he tried to watch it, like a bad O. Henry story.

So I understand WOF being telesnapped. They went from a complete serial to a hole in the middle literally overnight.

But Underwater Menace was rumored for animation for a while before being released and the BBC just cheaped out on it.

I'm surprised it was BBC America who did a full animated version of Power of the Daleks, and I hope it was profitable enough to get at least one more done.... like Marco Polo or something.

As for Blu-Ray... they released a badly upscaled version of the movie in the UK a while back. That and Spearhead From Space are all that's on Blu from the classic range.

Last edited:

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Nope.

Some worthless bastard "collector" supposedly got his hands on it right before the BBC did, because WOF was complete when they first saw it, and those bastards never let things go. Hope the film broke and the projector burned the first time he tried to watch it, like a bad O. Henry story.

So I understand WOF being telesnapped. They went from a complete serial to a hole in the middle literally overnight.

But Underwater Menace was rumored for animation for a while before being released and the BBC just cheaped out on it.

I'm surprised it was BBC America who did a full animated version of Power of the Daleks, and I hope it was profitable enough to get at least one more done.... like Marco Polo or something.

As for Blu-Ray... they released a badly upscaled version of the movie in the UK a while back. That and Spearhead From Space are all that's on Blu from the classic range.

Spearhead From Space looks great.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I also really enjoyed the "Power of the Daleks" reconstruction.
The color version is in 16:9 Widescreen with a fairly effective DD 5.1 track.

I thought they could have gone a little further with the animation, though: For example, when the Daleks fire their weapons, all we get is the classic "flash of light". I just felt that if you're going to present a series that was originally in 4:3 B/W with mono sound in 16:9 Widescreen color and DD 5.1, you could go all the way and present the modern way the Daleks fire their weapons.

Other than that odd choice, the "Power of the Daleks" is a nice presentation of a very important lost episode.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I also really enjoyed the "Power of the Daleks" reconstruction.
The color version is in 16:9 Widescreen with a fairly effective DD 5.1 track.

I thought they could have gone a little further with the animation, though: For example, when the Daleks fire their weapons, all we get is the classic "flash of light". I just felt that if you're going to present a series that was originally in 4:3 B/W with mono sound in 16:9 Widescreen color and DD 5.1, you could go all the way and present the modern way the Daleks fire their weapons.

Other than that odd choice, the "Power of the Daleks" is a nice presentation of a very important lost episode.

Any "new" Troughton is a welcome thing.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
For the record, when it comes to "Classic" Who, most of my collection consists of Pertwee and Baker eps. I "cherry picked" available eps for the other Doctors. Tom Baker remains for me the "Definitive" Doctor Who (and I was *thrilled* to see his cameo in the 50th Anniversary ep); with Matt Smith a close second.

With "Modern" Who, I own every ep from 2005 forward. Most are on DVD since that was the way they were originally released. I now have most of Smith and Capaldi on Blu-ray, but "probably" won't repurchase the rest.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On September 17th the Complete David Tennant run as Dr. Who is being released on blu ray. This bundles the previously released three series ( Rose, Martha, and Donna) plus the specials in one package. Right now you can preorder this set from Best Buy for only $34.99. This is probably a misprice as Amazon is selling it for $71.99 with a $79.99 list price. No telling when it will be corrected if a misprice.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/doctor-who-the-complete-david-tennant-blu-ray/6364037.p?skuId=6364037

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^Just a quick reminder that only Tennant's last four shows were produced in HD so you're paying for upscales.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On September 17th the Complete David Tennant run as Dr. Who is being released on blu ray. This bundles the previously released three series ( Rose, Martha, and Donna) plus the specials in one package. Right now you can preorder this set from Best Buy for only $34.99. This is probably a misprice as Amazon is selling it for $71.99 with a $79.99 list price. No telling when it will be corrected if a misprice.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/doctor-who-the-complete-david-tennant-blu-ray/6364037.p?skuId=6364037

Amazon has now matched Best Buy's price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QWNR7G...te David Tennant Coll (BD)&sb-ci-a=B07QWNR7GB

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I received my set today and it seems to include everything released in the previous season sets plus the 5 specials and the 2 animated specials, The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith from the Sarah Jane Adventures plus a new interview with David Tennant . Only his appearance in the anniversary special with Matt Smith appears missing.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received my set today and it seems to include everything released in the previous season sets plus the 5 specials and the 2 animated specials, The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith from the Sarah Jane Adventures plus a new interview with David Tennant . Only his appearance in the anniversary special with Matt Smith appears missing.

But logically, that would go in a Matt Smith collection if they ever get around to rereleasing that in this format.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
$30 at Barnes and Noble using a 15% off coupon -- potential FS or ISPU.

Fall Equinox is often the weekend that B&N does their double member discount special

Actually just called the store and asked about the instore price -- current store price is $36 so with membership and./or coupons it;s below most other stores by a lot..

MORE INTERESTING -- the clerk I talked to didn't know anything about double member weekend BUT she said there was going to be a 50% off British TV set weekend. Not sure if that would be in store and online or just store, but a potential of tremendous price if that happens

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
But logically, that would go in a Matt Smith collection if they ever get around to rereleasing that in this format.
Yes but on the other hand they included "An Adventure In Time and Space" about the creation of Dr Who in the previous Matt Smith set and he was just in it for less than a minute with no dialogue. Not much of an appearance but they were thoughtful enough to include it to get all of Matt Smith's time as Dr. Who.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
$30 at Barnes and Noble using a 15% off coupon -- potential FS or ISPU.

Fall Equinox is often the weekend that B&N does their double member discount special

Actually just called the store and asked about the instore price -- current store price is $36 so with membership and./or coupons it;s below most other stores by a lot..

MORE INTERESTING -- the clerk I talked to didn't know anything about double member weekend BUT she said there was going to be a 50% off British TV set weekend. Not sure if that would be in store and online or just store, but a potential of tremendous price if that happens

I purchased from Bull Moose. $31.97. Free shipping and no sales tax to most places (which is rare today)

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/31029924/doctor-who-complete-david-tennant-collection-blu-ray-nr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks