DR. Who and DVD Suggestions

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dave Scarpa, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I want to try out (which is probably a bad thing since I'll probably buy them all) the Doctor Who DVD sets. What are some of the better releases. I'm not talking on a story level since I'm pretty familiar with the good doctor, but on the level of Extras Picture quality etc... Also are the Disks the original 30 min episodes? I know probably alot of Whofans like the shows when editted to gether into their "Movie" Versions, but I always thought the good doctor worked better in their Serialized format.
    I appreciate the input of Whofans out there.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

May I suggest you skim through my reviews of The Ark In Space (very highly recommended), Tomb of the Cybermen (another excellent release), and the boxset for The Key To Time (good enough, but not up to the specialness of the others). Those are the only Who releases I actually *reviewed*, but as the owner of every Who DVD out there, let me say that The Ark In Space is a fantastic DVD release, and a great place to start. I likes the Cybermen story better, actually, and also enjoy The Aztecs and The Five Doctors as great DVD releases coupled with great stories. Those would be my four recommendations: Ark, Tomb, Aztecs, and/or Five Doctors.

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Dave how is the Two disk Hartnell Dalek Disk?

4. David Lambert

Unfortunately I haven't had time to watch that one yet. I'm wading through a large backlog of unviewed DVDs, and trying not to jump my faves to the front of the line. I just broke into Smallville S1 this past weekend, if you can believe that! [​IMG]

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Are you kidding Me Smallville, Sopranos 4,, 24 season 2, Incredible Hulk Ultimate, DS9 S4,5,6,7, Dead Zone S1, Homicide S3 and more still face me. Just kill Me Now !

6. David Podjasek

The Invasion of the Daleks is my favorite set so far! The restoration is amazing...

7. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

The problem with Doctor Who is that different stories appeal to different fans, so asking for recommendations is difficult without knowing examples of episodes/Doctors/storytypes you like.

From the available UK releases, my favourites are

The Caves of Androzani
    The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    The Aztecs

I have to say I'm not a big fan of Tomb of The Cybermen, The Dalek Invasion of Earth, or The Ark In Space. YMMV. [​IMG]

Be sure to visit the Doctor Who Restoration Team website, and look at the DVD release history. Generally speaking, the release quality gets better and better with each DVD.

8. Elvie

Elvie Stunt Coordinator

Dave Scarpa:

I have several of these discs (7 titles plus "The Key to Time" box set along with the Cushing box set) and all of the ones I've had time to watch (which is less than half of the ones I own) can be viewed in either their serialized episodes, or in "movie" format.

I can't comment on the picture/audio quality since I think it's okay but someone with much more (which is just about everyone here) experience with HT systems might have other comments.

I suggest to start with the episodes that are your favourite and go from there. Hope that helps [​IMG]

9. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Really? Is this a region 1 feature? The region 2 and 4 releases are episodic only, except for Five Doctors and The Movie (and they were intended to be feature-length) plus the SE of Curse of Fenric, which has been completely reworked and reedited into a SE that is available on disc 2, with the original on disc 1 in episodic.

Personally, I dislike the idea of omiting the cliffhangers. The show was episodic, release it in episodic form.

All the titles are great. Definitely go for the titles you prefer. Personally, the DW discs are so good, I even buy titles I'm not especially keen on, just to support the range and ensure they continue to be released with such great restoration work. The work the restoration team do on these discs is nothing short of miraculous.

10. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

The Region 1 releases don't have a movie compilation option. There is a PLAY ALL feature which merely plays the episodes continuosly.

11. David Lambert

Yes, this is how it works. It doesn't snip out the cliffhanger endings, the closing credits, or the opening of the next episode. It works just like the "play all" feature on, say, a Power Rangers DVD.