What's new

Dr. Watson, Dr Watson (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No, I'm not lapsing in Mary Hartman mode. The other night I got bug in my ear to watch two of the Jeremy Brett Holmes episodes with the 2 Dr. Watsons. I chose the first one each appeared in, The Empty House and a Scandal in Bohemia and watched them in order, which is really out of order.

I was not surprised to find that I still liked both portrayals very much. Both actors, David Burke (who originated the role on the BBC series) and Edward Hardwicke are excellent. If Jeremy Brett were still alive and ready to film more of the Doyle canon, I would be hard pressed to choose between the two.

This is unusual for me, as I seem to like the originals better than follow ups. Sean is still the best Bond for me, Raiders is still the best of the Indiana Jones movies, A New Hope is still the best Star Wars for me. That first indelible impression is hard to overcome.

I realize that referring to any of the Brett series as the original is some what ironic, this was hardly the first time Holmes or Watson was portrayed in movies, tv, or stage. Of all the versions I've seen, Jeremy Brett remains the definitive Holmes for me. How wonderful it was that when they hit a home run for Holmes, they also did it for Dr. Watson twice.

Until this morning, I had thought Burke was replaced because he died. I'm not sure how I got that info, maybe I just assumed it. According to imdb his filmography extends into 2008. I wonder if he was replaced or he wanted out or he wanted too much money or ....? Anyone know.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was over at imdb again and saw this comment:

I believe that refers to 2007. Has anyone purchased the new version and is it an improvement? Even if there were a BR version produced, would it be any better than an up converted SD version, considering the source?

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I think Burke left to spend more time with his family. (Something to that effect anyway) And he had a hand in picking Hardwicke for his replacement. Hardwicke said that he was even mistaken for Burke by people on the street.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
To answer your second post: Yes, I have the new set and they look fantastic IMO. I've only heard about the quality of the older set and that these new ones are much better.

They look great upconverted on my HD-XA2. I'm sure they would look even better on Blu-ray but I don't know that I would re-buy. (I know I wouldn't right now seeing that I don't have Blu-ray yet) ;)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's makes it tough. I would think this would be a low priority for BR, waiting for it doesn't seem practical. Than again, I'd hate to buy it a 2nd time in SD and than it comes out in BR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks