Dr. T and the Women...a question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

At Blockbuster video last night, I was with my wife deciding which free rental to get, and she said, "Let's see Dr. T and the Women", and I reluctantly agreed, since I had rented "Along Came a Spider" last week (and she didn't want to see it). While waiting in line, I noticed that it was rated R for "Graphic Nudity" and "Sexuality". When I pointed this out, she immediately put it back and we got something else.
    This has caused my morbid curiosity to be piqued - what could possibly be classified as "graphic nudity" in a chick-flick like DTatW? Is it something that should be avoided? My wife and I usually avoid titles with obvious sexual overtones and gratuitous nudity.
    Anyone seen it?
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    My wife got suckered into this movie too (I didn't watch it, wasn't home that night) and she said something to the effect that Dr. T is a gynecologist and that some scene was graphic to that regard.
    From what she told me, be glad you skipped it, not one of Altman's best works.

3. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Farrah Fawcett gets naked and frolicks in a mall fountain.
    Also there is a scene in the end that probably merits the rating.
    Spoiler: The scene is a close-up of a woman giving birth.
    I really enjoyed this film and found a lot more to it than a "chick flick." It is pure Robert Altman genius.

4. darrin

darrin Stunt Coordinator

Robert Altman genius??? You have GOT to be kidding!!

5. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

I like Robert Altman and this movie absolutely, unequivocally, stinks!! Read the reviews and lay this sucker to rest.
    ------------------
    My oh so exciting DVD collection.

6. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Oh man, that movie stunk! It was a mess. There was no direction, the story was all over the place. There's maybe one and I mean one funny scene in the whole movie. 2 hours of my life that I will never get back [​IMG]

7. Ed Jewell

Ed Jewell Agent

In the movie there is a graffic full-on crotch shot of a Mexican woman crapping out a kid. I had to get up an leave the room.

8. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Yep, it was genius. It was if Robert Altman had seen "Magnolia" and was waving his middle finger at P.T. Anderson.
    Spoiler:"Like, ok, kid, I'll see you your frog storm and I'll raise you a tornado and a live birth."
    I loved it!

9. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I enjoyed this movie. I can't really say why, it's been so long since I actually saw the movie. But, it seemed to me to be very much like all of Altman's movies and that is probably why I enjoyed it so much.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

10. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

(I know this is somewhat off topic, but I'm just adding another positive vote for this film.)
    Having loved most of Altman's 70s work (but not really caring for his later work such as "Cookie's Fortune" and "Gingerbread Man"), I thought this film wouldn't be anything interesting. To my surprise, I really enjoyed it and would add it to my collection.

11. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I am also one of the few who liked this one. I don't like every Altman film, but I went for this. Definitly Richard Gere's best work (I'm usually not a fan of his), and it has many gutsy, unique things going for it. Altman seems to be using Dallas and this poor gynocologist as metaphors for the United States and modern gender relational issues.
    NOT a chick flick, BTW! But my wife dug it nonetheless.
    JiM T

12. Andy Kellman

Andy Kellman Extra

13. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Extra

Seeing the posts here makes me want to watch this Altman movie again. I bought the DVD when it was first released, had a lot of fun watching it, and had not watched it again.
    In my memory of it, I do not recall most of what has been described above. I did like the performance by Richard Gere; I don't normally like him. Shelley Long's performance made me laugh, and it's what I remember best from the film. Also, I remember fashions and vivid colors in one of the early scenes.
    I think that one of my upcoming weekend activities will be to watch "Dr. T and the Women" again.
    Keith Smith