Dr Strangelove SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Al.Anderson, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I just found out that there's a DR. Strangelove special edition. I'll probably double dip just for the making-of feature; but I'm curious if there is anything of note to know about the movie transfer itself - better or worse than the standard DVD?

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

It's the same transfer as the bare bones edition.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This film needs a new and better transfer.

4. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I know Kubrick approved this transfer years ago, but boy, could this film do with a restoration. It looks okay for a movie from 1964, but after seeing how nice the remastered Lolita looked, I can't help thinking that Strangelove could fare just as well if properly treated.

Anyone know why they wouldn't have gone ahead and redone this one? I know it's a Columbia title rather than a Warner one, but since it was included in the Warner collection, you'd think someone would have thought about remastering it. I can't believe that Kubrick would have okayed the remastering of his other films and not this one.

The extras are nice on the SE, though.

5. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I would buy it.

6. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

there were reports of an upcoming SuperBits version

sorry but I think the current version is just fine
    I know I don't need another one

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

The OOP Criterion disc has a lovely transfer, taken from Kubrick's personal copy of the film (one generation away from the original camera negative). Columbia only has a dupe negative and presumably all their LDs and DVDs are from this source. There is far less print damage on the Criterion disc than the Columbia version.

Also, Kubrick's print lacks the bogus "disclaimer" at the beginning of the film.

8. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Thanks for the info everyone. eBay doesn't have a-one of the OOP Criterians; so I'm guessing when I do find one it'll be a bit pricy. I've never inquired about OOP DVDs, where do people generally go for these?

And if I may kill more time with this - I'd like to know more about the disclaimer. I always thought that was part of the "black" humor of the film. I gather it's not. What drove it's inclusion?

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I'm not sure if this was intended to be a "what if" type of statement, but just in case, Kubrick didn't "OK" the remastering of any of the films in the newer Warner box, he was dead before the first set came out let alone the newer set....maybe he was around during the long restoration on 2001 but I'm not even sure of that, when was that done?

10. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Al,

I should have been more clear. The OOP Criterion version was on LASERDISC only. There is a copy on Ebay right now for super-cheap.

11. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Even if they do issue a Superbit Strangelove, I'll bet dollars to donuts it uses the same transfer. That's my main problem with the Superbit line: if they use flawed transfers, what's the point? Gold-plating a pig's butt won't make it any prettier...

12. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Supposedly a restored print of DS briefly made the rounds of Cinemas a few years ago. I did not see it, only read of its showing locally.

13. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I'd buy it. This film is the only sore point in the whole Stanley Kubrick collection.

14. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

I apologize; it was a poor choice of words. Kubrick, of course, passed away in early 1999, so yes, he didn't participate in the restoration of those films. However, according to Leon Vitali, he had discussed the possibility of doing it, and had given his blessing for it to happen.

The original Kubrick box set was kind of thrown together kind of quickly after he died, and it also served as a promotional tie-in for the theatrical release of Eyes Wide Shut. It used old laserdisc transfers that Kubrick had approved years before. If I remember correctly, soon after it was released, Warner and the Kubrick estate revealed that they were planning on a new set with new transfers, and that Kubrick had been planning to be involved, but unfortunately passed away before work could begin. Or something like that.

As for 2001, Kubrick was planning on participating in readying the film for a re-release in the year 2001. Too bad that release ended up being so limited.

Sorry if anyone misunderstood what I meant. The point is, it's weird that Warners sprang for new transfers of all their titles and Columbia didn't. Did they just think it wasn't worth it or something? If it's a matter of not having Kubrick's permission, I'm sure his estate would be willing to discuss it.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

How many different cover jackets has this DVD being released with? I think it's up to at least 3 maybe 4 different covers. Is this some kind of record yet?

16. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

I have the Superbit version and I think it looks great, but maybe my standards are not as high as yours.

17. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

The extras on the Criterion LD are not to be missed, a real blast. For those still in LD, I highly recommend that you search for a copy (I'll help you out a bit; I have an extra copy I'd sell).

I'll bet not many are aware that there were two versions of the Criterion LD. When it was originally released, it included an early script draft. Later versions replaced the script draft with some mundane bios. I don't know exactly why this was done, but there it is. The early script draft is a very interesting read and quite different from the final filmed product. For instance, it included aliens from outer space! If you want the version that includes the early script draft (the one I have for sale, unfortunately, does not), make certain the seller has actually viewed the LD and verified it is there; some copies are out there with jackets that say it's included, but, in fact, isn't.

18. Haggai

Haggai Producer

DVDFile now has details on the upcoming 2-disc set:

That's exactly the same list of extras as the currently available SE. The sound on the current disc is mono, so the re-mixes will be new, and the transfer on the current disc has a lot of hair and debris throughout the movie, so hopefully that'll be fixed. If the picture quality improves a lot, I'll double dip, since this is one of my favorite movies, but if it isn't that much better, stereo sound re-mixes won't be enough for me to pick it up again.

19. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Sounds like a Superbit Deluxe edition. As long as it has a substantially improved transfer, I'll buy. I just wish that we could have got more extras.

20. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Eh. Now that the specs are in, I don't think I'll buy the new version. I was hoping they'd do something more special for cheaper. Also, there goes the hope of seeing that pie fight if the Kubrick estate would've let them include it.