What's new

Dr. Stragelove "SE" (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I just noticed that Dr. Strangelove has a special edition (not sure they call it that exactly). Does anyone know if this release is reasonably better than the original release? Or for that matter, what they improved on?

Britton

Screenwriter
I think the video and audio for the SE are the same as the original release. There are actually extras on the SE, and I remember enjoying them. That's pretty much the only improvement. The SE is also available in the restored and remastered Kubrick Collection boxset that came out in June 2001. However, in order to maintain uniformity with the other movies, it comes in a snapper case.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The extras on the SE DVD are pretty good but the picture quality pales in comparison to the Criterion LD that came out several years ago.

Criterion's version was from Mr. K's personal copy of the film, (taken directly from the negative and telecine'd several times to meet Mr. K's approval). The print is nearly flawless. Head and shoulders above any DVD.

Criterion's director-approved LD is the only video copy of Dr. Strangelove that does NOT contain the bogus disclaimer at the beginning. And the extras on the LD are pretty nice too, including the DUCK AND COVER short film and MY TEENAGE FALLOUT QUEEN scopiotone.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I think Jack was referring the second DVD release of the film, not a second disc for the special edition.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
according to what Ive read, COLUMBIA did restore DS around the same time WARNERS did their celluloid Kubricks, with ample time to put the clean new transfer on the then-new SE.

I guess they are waiting for an ULTIMATE EDITION.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
according to what Ive read, COLUMBIA did restore DS around the same time WARNERS did their celluloid Kubricks, with ample time to put the clean new transfer on the then-new SE.
You're joking? God, that's some bad thinking. :frowning:

I think that Dr. S is one of the most important - and best, American films in Cinema History. I'd gladly triple-dip! :D

Gordy

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
There is a documentary on the "Art of SK", a "making of" short, and an interview with Sellers and Scott on the SE. Also, there are some easter eggs on the SE (the only ones I've ever checked out; I hate hidden content, but love Dr S so.) Finally, the case on the SE is better than the older version's snapper.

As for the food fight, some websites have pictures of it. I am pretty sure I have links to those sites in my guide to Dr S, here: http://www.nd.edu/~dlindley/handouts...lovenotes.html

And keep in mind that the OAR was roughly 1.33:1, so don't expect any anamorphic improvements on future versions.

If you are a fan, the additions are well worth the price. But I am to fan as industrial air conditioner is to dainty opera hand-held fan.

Best, Dan

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
And keep in mind that the OAR was roughly 1.33:1, so don't expect any anamorphic improvements on future versions.
True, but From Here To Eternity has a Superbit edition and was shot in the Academy ratio, so it's still possible that Columbia could release Dr. Strangelove in a Superbit edition.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
there is an excellent book, KUBRICK, THE DEFINATIVE EDITION/Ciment--NY:Faber&Faber,revised & reprinted 2001) that has pictures of the Cream-Pie fight and aftermath (pp 210-211)I remember reading somewhere the assertion that it was scripted, but never shot.. It was shot alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks