What's new

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Horton Hears a Who" will entertain both children and adults alike. The animation is engaging, and I enjoyed the character designs, and the overall environments of Horton and his pals, and of Whoville. Jim Carrey voiced Horton, the kind-hearted elephant who thinks he hears voices coming from a small particle that holds the entire Whoville universe, and ends up conversing with the mayor of Whoville (voiced by Steve Carell). Carrey does a fine job imbuing Horton with a sense of wonder and self-deprecation that makes him lovable and fun to watch, plus the animation of Horton is also very entertaining in most scenes.

The Who's are given equal time for the audience to get a glimpse into Whoville life, and some slapstick comedy bits are provided through the daily grind that is the mayor's life. Horton becomes protective of Whoville, using a dandelion to host the particle, and wanted to find a safe spot for Whoville, but there is always the doubters of Horton's story, and they will stop at nothing to discredit Horton, lest he convinces the children (of other cute animal characters) of the implausible existence of Whoville.

Overall, it was a fun movie, maybe about 5-10 minutes too long, but otherwise, a very enjoyable tale for all ages.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I agree with Patrick. I'd also probably give it a B. It's quite a good movie (animated or otherwise).
Just the other night I saw Bee Movie (so it was fresh in my mind), and that was okay - funny, cute, good message, and appealed to both kids and adults - but Horton is clearly in another league.
This is a good story, with good characters, and beautiful animation. IMO, it's in the same league as the best Pixar has ever done.
Wall-E had better be good, because Horton is setting the bar pretty high this year.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Phew. A non-terrible Dr. Seuss movie. I'm relieved, because after those two live-action atrocities I was worried, and the trailers did not alleviate my fears, but so far I'm hearing decent things about this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks