Dr Phibes........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_tomb, Apr 5, 2002.

1. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone into these 2 movies??....I happened onto part of one late night but fell asleep. WOW what a weird movie...just my type of weirdness....lol....Is it out on DVD??....and if it is, is the transfer good or poor looking??

2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Dr. Phibes Rises Again are both available on DVD from MGM under the Midnite Movies banners. The transfers are very good. Both are them look a little dated now and the second film doesn't look quite as good as the first, but for about $10 a pop, you can't go wrong.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Yes, both THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES and DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN are on DVD from MGM. The transfers are nice - about what you'd expect from a couple of low-budget films. They are anamorphically-enhanced with the trailer for each as the only special feature. The price is right, available at most retailers for well under $15.

4. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

If you like those two films, pick up MGM's Theatre of Blood disc as well.
    Vincent Price portrays a different character and the film has a similar structure to the Phibes films.
    All 3 make for a great triple feature!

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Abominable Dr Phibes is my second favorite film of all time. It's a visual feast (with a gorgeous transfer on the DVD) of Deco styling, splendid use of music and sound, and a waaaaay over the top but mute performance by Vincent Price. I could watch it every day.

Theatre of Blood is nearly as good, though not as visually arresting as Phibes. The sequel, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, is a poor imitation, though the DVD is worth it for the restoration of Vincent Price's vocal of Over the Rainbow (not available previously on home video).

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I'm a huge fan of Vincent Price, and I love the Phibes films, great horror flicks.
    Theatre of Blood is quite possibly the greatest Vincent Price film ever made, he is just brilliantly hammy in it, absolutely perfecto, a superb 70's horror classic.
    I would also recommend 'Madhouse' (1974), starring Price and Peter Cushing.
    Kevin, Price's name in this movie was Paul Toombes.[​IMG]
    And lastly don't forget the super classic Roger Corman 'Poe' movies starring Vincent Price, all worth having in any serious horror collection, the four best IMO were 'The House of Usher' (1960), 'Pit and the Pendulum' (1961), 'Masque of the Red Death' (1964) and the hugely enjoyable 'The Raven' (1963) also starring Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre and a young Jack Nicholson.