What's new

Dr. Pepper: what is that flavor? (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Anyone tried this: Link Removed
The color scheme reminds me of Dr.Pepper. As far as the makeup of Dr.Pepper, maybe it is similar to the structure of prunes, thereby giving it a similar taste. I know from some of my Organic Chem classes, citrus fruits' flavors are structurally similar.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
You learn a lot of things in Organic Chemistry. I can't stand the smell of hot buttered popcorn because I know that the smell is chemically a step away from the smell of puke.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
My favorite drink is Diet Coke (I just like the taste for some reason1 ), followed by Dr. Pepper, then Pepsi. I would NEVER drink Coke (too sugary... gives me a headache).
That's hilarious...

I am addicted to Coke (yes, the soda!). I absolutely must have it each day. Okay, sure it's the caffeine and sugar, but it is, and has long been, my fix of choice in the soda area.

I can't stand Pepsi because of how sweet it tastes! I'm not sure I've ever heard someone describe Coke as sweet in comparison to Pepsi. I'm prone to headaches, and Coke often alleviates them (yes, I said addiction didn't I?). And I find the taste of Diet Coke to be downright foul, yet as you describe Coke - too (strangely) sweet and it gives me a headache every time. To my taste Coke is the black coffee of sodas and Pepsi is the sugared down decafe.

Anyway, when planting myself in anywhere diner I first ask for Coke... Then default to Dr. Pepper... If all else fails I'll have the Pepsi, which I can tolerate more as a fountain drink than in a can.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
I miss Diet Dr Pepper, can't get it here in Berlin.
sometimes I see reg Dr Pepper at Walmart when I go to pick up Cranberry Juce.
kd

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I haven't had Diet Dr. Pepper, but before it was called "Diet" it was called Sugar-Free Dr. Pepper, and it was horrid.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
that sobee stuff tries to taste like Dr. Pepper, but it has ginsing and shit in it, and you can definately taste it. uggghghghg

Eve T

Supporting Actor
When I was a little girl my father would always call them "prunes"

He said thats what he and his buddies called them when he was in the Army because they were indeed (as others have stated) made with prune juice.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I found a dominant smell after smelling concentrated Dr. Pepper Syrup. If you don't have access to a fountain dispenser then it may be hard to extract the pure Dr. Pepper syrup.
After burning it, It also agreed that the dominant ingredient other than water to be corn syrup. hehe :)
I drink Water btw. I have been diagnosed with a rare sodaphobia that I would rather not talk about.
jk

MichaelG

Second Unit
To me it's like a mild Cherry cola flavor. All I know is that it's my favorite soft drink, there is none better.

I think I'll go have one now

Cam S

Screenwriter
I love Dr. Pepper, and also like most of the variants of it, like Dr. Skipper, Dr. Smooth etc etc. The taste reminds me of a cross between Cream Soda and Black Cherry pop, and I like both so it's a perfect blend.

Brad_V

Second Unit
All these Dr. Pepper lovers but no mention of RC? Good stuff.

Of course, apparently I'm the only one who thinks Pepsi Clear was good.

I used to drink diet A&W cream soda all the time, Diet Dr. Pepper was good, too, and tasted fairly close to the regular version. Now I'm hooked on Diet Mountain Dew.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Or maybe he and his Army buddies just heard the same urban legend everybody else heard.
Maybe so. I'm just telling you what he called them in the Army. :)

Onto the prune juice debate:
As far as Doctor pepper in concerned where they say prune juice isn't an ingredient... I'm not so sure I believe them. I wouldn't give away the trade secrets of my beverages ingredients either. Coca Cola won't give their secret ingredients out either. Seems to me that it could have been named Dr. Pepper not only because the guy worked for a man named Dr. Charles Pepper but also because of the healthy prune juice that "might" be one of it's secret ingredients. I don't know... give me a beer.

To me an urban legend would be that it was made with vampires blood.:D

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, if it has any prune juice in it, I'm not reaping any of the traditional benifits of drinking prune juice. ;)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've read the whole thread, Scott. I've even read the link at Snopes. Don't accuse me of thread farting.

The prune juice rumor has been around at least since the 1930s, so just because Eve T's daddy and his Army buddies called it prune juice doesn't mean it must be true. Eve T repeated the rumor as if it was a cold hard fact even after the discussion had already cast doubt on it. That's what generated my response.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
If you drop a shot glass of Amaretto into a mug of beer, it tastes just like Dr. Pepper.

But you have to drink it quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks