What's new

3D DR. NO (1962) 3-D conversion tested in Taiwan (1 Viewer)

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
This trend reminds me of those 1960's and 70's reissues of Gone With the Wind, Julius Caesar and The Great Caruso in widescreen 70mm. Those were horrible, but I must admit I'm curious to see what some titles look like in 3D, for example the upcoming 3D version of The Wizard of Oz, which I think would lend itself visually to stereo.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
GerardoHP said:
This trend reminds me of those 1960's and 70's reissues of Gone With the Wind, Julius Caesar and The Great Caruso in widescreen 70mm. Those were horrible, but I must admit I'm curious to see what some titles look like in 3D, for example the upcoming 3D version of The Wizard of Oz, which I think would lend itself visually to stereo.
Even thought the conversion on TWOO should never have been done in the first place.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Lromero1396 said:
Even thought the conversion on TWOO should never have been done in the first place.
We all have our reasons. Can't imagine this version of Dr. NO being "quality" 3D, but IMO, TWOO has the potential for a great conversion if done right. Catalog titles like Top Gun and Titanic are definitely 3D version keepers in my collection and Jurassic Park is on the horizon as another hopeful conversion. There are a few 3D conversions of older movies, like March of the Wooden Soldiers that IMO, turned out extremely well. Paul

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Paul Hillenbrand said:
We all have our reasons. Can't imagine this version of Dr. NO being "quality" 3D, but IMO, TWOO has the potential for a great conversion if done right. Catalog titles like Top Gun and Titanic are definitely 3D version keepers in my collection and Jurassic Park is on the horizon as another hopeful conversion. There are a few 3D conversions of older movies, like March of the Wooden Soldiers that IMO, turned out extremely well.
Seeing as they weren't cheap Taiwanese bootlegs, of course. :rolleyes: (No, really: Just to keep the thread shorter, could we maybe agree to a moratorium on thread responses that think this's actually real?)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Reality check: the 3-D conversion on blu-ray is for real and it's for sale. Whether or not it's authorized appears to be the question. Since the Bond producers do nothing but make wrong decisions, I assumed it was authorized when I made the initial post. But now I'm not so sure. Either it's authorized and they are testing the market in Taiwan or its an unauthorized bootleg. EON has neither confirmed nor denied if this 3-D conversion is authorized. I've stated elsewhere on this forum that I'm opposed to 3-D conversions of classic films. I think all films should remain as originally envisioned. As an aside, not all Asian labels are bootlegs or bad transfers. Not by any means. I've purchased a number of Asian films on Asian labels that are every bit as professional as American studio labels. The Kaneto Shindô films on Asmick Ace, for example. One of my latest acquisitions is Powell and Pressburger's GONE TO EARTH (1950) on a Korean DVD. It is simply an authorized port of the out-of-print Fremantle U.K. DVD. Lovely film in beautiful color. Looks fine.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Richard--W said:
Reality check: the 3-D conversion on blu-ray is for real and it's for sale. Whether or not it's authorized appears to be the question
Er, yeah. (Or, whether it's just some homemade TV-conversion copy slapped on a disk and sold on Taiwanese streetcorners. TV-to-3D is the New Bootleg.) Just OOC, you weren't one of those people who thought that Rear Window thing was real too, and that was on this hemisphere?

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Richard--W said:
Reality check: the 3-D conversion on blu-ray is for real and it's for sale. Whether or not it's authorized appears to be the question. Since the Bond producers do nothing but make wrong decisions, I assumed it was authorized when I made the initial post. But now I'm not so sure. Either it's authorized and they are testing the market in Taiwan or its an unauthorized bootleg. EON has neither confirmed nor denied if this 3-D conversion is authorized. I've stated elsewhere on this forum that I'm opposed to 3-D conversions of classic films. I think all films should remain as originally envisioned. As an aside, not all Asian labels are bootlegs or bad transfers. Not by any means. I've purchased a number of Asian films on Asian labels that are every bit as professional as American studio labels. The Kaneto Shindô films on Asmick Ace, for example. One of my latest acquisitions is Powell and Pressburger's GONE TO EARTH (1950) on a Korean DVD. It is simply an authorized port of the out-of-print Fremantle U.K. DVD. Lovely film in beautiful color. Looks fine.
I like your thinking, especially regarding bootlegs of OOP discs. That is one case where I think bootlegs can be justified. And I share your views on 3-D conversions of classics: they should never be done.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Lromero1396 said:
I like your thinking, especially regarding bootlegs of OOP discs. That is one case where I think bootlegs can be justified. And I share your views on 3-D conversions of classics: they should never be done.
Perhaps you misunderstood me. Bootlegs are unethical in any case. I know the practice is rampant in Asia, but legitimate releases are sold in Asia as well. I buy the legitimate releases only. I don't buy counterfeits and bootlegs as a rule. I don't buy 3-D conversions of classic flat films, either. I was merely reporting a new release in my initial post that seemed in the moment to be perfectly legit. It might be, I don't know.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Richard--W said:
Perhaps you misunderstood me. Bootlegs are unethical in any case. I know the practice is rampant in Asia, but legitimate releases are sold in Asia as well. I buy the legitimate releases only. I don't buy counterfeits and bootlegs as a rule. I don't buy 3-D conversions of classic flat films, either. I was merely reporting a new release in my initial post that seemed in the moment to be perfectly legit. It might be, I don't know.
For the record, I don't support bootlegging of widely available content such as new releases or material which is readily available (in print) on home media. Are you stating that the release you mentioned above was a legitimate Asian release of a region 2 disc that was OOP? I assumed that you were referring to a bootlegAlso, I understand that you are not certain of the legitimacy of the 3-D release mentioned above.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don't know why they bothered: it's watchable but the 3D adds very little to a movie which is still highly entertaining even at such an advanced age.
Better than the dodgy homemade 3D Bladerunner though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks