What's new

Dr. Kildare in 2013? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jack P said:
I've gone through the first seven episodes and having just finished the York one, looks like I get Sargent next! I have to admit after the pilot episode, I wasn't too impressed with episodes 2-5 (it is VERY hard to buy the idea of Edward Andrews and Suzanne Pleshette as brother-sister, even when a 19 year difference is stated upfront), but things picked up with the Shatner episode.
You didn't care for episode four, "Winter Harvest"? I thought that one was pretty good. And yes, the Shatner episode was very good. As was the Dick Sargent episode, "Holiday Weekend."

Of course I expect you and Richard to both love "Season to be Jolly", a classic among Christmas episodes.

Gary "this set has definitely been worth the money" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Winter Harvest" was okay, and the best of 2-5 but the theme of veteran doctor must now admit he's past his prime is a bit too familiar to me, even if in fairness this may have been one of the first examples of it. "Immunity" I felt was a bit overdone and the Anne Francis as movie star episode just veered back and forth too much. But "Holiday Weekend" was very good on the heels of the Shatner episode so I think now I'm seeing the show hit more of a stride.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
PatrickGoodluck said:
This is the best news I've heard this year! For anyone that has never seen the show, in particular season one, I highly recommend it as others here have. Dr. Kildare has got to rate up there with one of the best drama series' of all time. Amazing there were 33 episodes produced in one year!I'm really stoked that the "lost" pilot episode of The Eleventh Hour is included as a bonus also! Maybe there's hope that this series will be released also sometime in the near future?Thanks Warners!!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Watched two more episodes, The Patient and For the Living. The Patient was your standard fluff-filler episode, but For the Living was a hard hitting and thought provoking episode which is very relevent today, but kinda surprising I think, to see this topic presented on a medical show 50 yrs ago. Dr. Kildare was a litle ahead of its time perhaps.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"For The Living" does pack a wallop. But I think what makes it must viewing is think of how different the issue would be presented today in this day and age where the likes of a Dr. Kevorkian get made out to be a hero. Raymond Massey's reproach to Charles McGraw in the final scene is brilliantly done. It won't surprise me if I end up looking back on this as the moment when the series won me over completely.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Agreed on "For the Living", as it was indeed a powerful episode. And while "The Patient" was a very light-hearted episode, I think with a series like this that isn't a bad thing. And even so, it was a good episode. Now, if anyone comes back after watching "Season to be Jolly" and tells me it was no good... well, let's just say I'll be utterly shocked.

Gary "the series has really impressed me - more so than even I thought it would" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
As I continue to watch this series, I'm delighted with watching the 50's and 60's and beyond TV and film stars. In the last episode alone that I watched, Ellen Burstyn, Ross Martin, Harvey Korman, and Donna Douglas had guest starring roles. Add them to the list of Suzanne Pleshette, Anne Francis, Charles Bickford, Richard Kiley, Beverly Garland, Dick York, Dick Sargent, Dabbs Greer, John Fiedler, Ken Berry, Beatrice Straight, Charles McGraw, Jean Stapleton, Jack Weston, Edward Platt, Hayden Roarke, and last, but not least none other than James Tiberius Kirk himself, William Shatner. And that is just in the first 11 episodes. Amazing, a real treat. Lastly, I'm struck by how beautiful the theme music is. Haunting and melodic, yet stirring and heroic at the same time. This is a GREAT series, praying that Warner Archives gives us all the seasons.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've just watched IMO the first bona fide clunker in the set "Hit And Run." Richard Kiley's over-the-top melodramatic performance is cringe-inducing, and the whole premise which requires us to believe this guy can elude detection in so many places where conveniently no one happens to be around just defies all credibility.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Gary OS said:
Of course I expect you and Richard to both love "Season to be Jolly", a classic among Christmas episodes.

Gary "this set has definitely been worth the money" O.
You figured right, Gary! Incredibly well-done and only surpassed by the Dragnet Christmas episode for the best one I've ever seen. How sad it is to think that something like this could never be made today. And I understand full well now why you were not happy this wasn't the one chosen in that Christmas episodes set a couple years back.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jack P said:
You figured right, Gary! Incredibly well-done and only surpassed by the Dragnet Christmas episode for the best one I've ever seen. How sad it is to think that something like this could never be made today. And I understand full well now why you were not happy this wasn't the one chosen in that Christmas episodes set a couple years back.
I was pretty confident you'd like it. In fact, I don't know of any person I've personally shown that episode too who hasn't been very impressed with it. And no, it wouldn't be made or aired today. That's for sure. Thank goodness we've got it in pristine condition on dvd.

Gary "the dialog between Gillispie and 'Mr. Smith' was powerful" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Okay, here's another clunker for me, and it happens to be O'Herlihy's unexpected return just nine weeks later as the drunken Irish poet in "The Roaring Boy-O." I'm afraid that after seeing his great and moving performance in the Christmas episode, it is really not a good idea to see him guesting again so soon and playing *another* kind of drunken character to all kinds of silly comic effect. To me, when you have an actor make a memorable guest appearance on a series, it's usually a good idea to wait a whole season before you see him again in another guest shot in a different role, and certainly not one that calls to mind aspects of the previous guest appearance.

Edit-And now that I've reached the finish of this episode, I really have to wonder if O'Herlihy purposefully wanted to do a role that represented the flipside of what he played in the Christmas episode. It really left a bad taste in my mouth, frankly.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Is anyone having problems with their disks? I started to watch the 3rd episode and it is freezing at certain points. I cleaned the disk, played it in a Blu-ray then dvd and still the same problem. I guess I'll have to call them. I wonder how many disks are involved.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I have gone throught the entire 1st Volume of discs, and no problem at all so far.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I just got the first season and having never seen this show before, I have to say I am loving it. So refreshing to see an hour of medical drama carried by good writing, acting and directing and not dependent on gratuitous blood and guts shots.

I was lucky to come to the party late and still get pressed discs of season one--although I wonder if that is an unlucky omen for future releases.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Glad that its being released as only Turner South showed it and that was only available in a few states. However, I have to say that the show pales in comparison with Ben Casey. Like comparing Gallant Men to Combat.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Neil Brock said:
Glad that its being released as only Turner South showed it and that was only available in a few states. However, I have to say that the show pales in comparison with Ben Casey. Like comparing Gallant Men to Combat.
Really wish for a Ben Casey release as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks