What's new

DR KATZ! It's out! Any reviews or feedback? (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Only checked out some of it so far. They look good, and they looked slightly letterboxed as well at an aspect ratio of 1.50:1, but it's as squiggly as it always has been. It's not anamorphically enhanced, but its not supposed to be. It sounds good as well. It's such a pleasure to hear that theme song again. It also has good commentaries on most of the episodes. The only distracting thing is that because of the slight letterboxing, the Comedy Central logo at the end of the show is slightly cropped at the top. Of interesting note, the original Comedy Central logos have been maintained on all of the episodes. Well worth the pricetag.

Best Buy has it on sale until the 13th at $12.99. It's a steal, so pick it up now

Also of note, DVD Talk has a review up as well. Check it out at this site:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21414

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't understand why the original logos would have been kept. I haven't heard of other shows doing this. Wouldn't those logos have been inserted after the show was edited together ?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The logos aren't in the screencaps in the DVDTalk review, but maybe it comes and goes? Nicholas, do you mean the logo at the end of the show, or the logo that annoyingly appears in the lower right corner of one's tv set when one is watching television?

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo

I mean the logo at the end of the show. That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. (i.e.: the very last thing you see)

I'm talking about the logos that say that "This Has Been A Presentation of Comedy Central."

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
I would just like to throw in a couple cents.

Dr. Katz is every bit as good as you remember it. The transfers are in fact windowboxed quite a bit, but if you're okay with that then there's no reason not to pick this set up.

My only wish is that they would have released seasons 1 & 2 together, as there are only 6 (very funny) episodes here and I greedily want more.

Patrick

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Nice release; commentary on 5 out of 6 episodes is pretty funny and has interesting tidbits I wasn't aware of (like Ben and Laura being involved in real life at the time of filming and their relationship breaking up...art imitates life I guess!).

I do hope they keep releasing them, but I guess that would require good sales -- any idea what the cutoff for this is? I'm still mystified as to why a 3 series show like Upright Citizens Brigade wouldn't have at least warranted the release of the 2nd and 3rd series bare bones even.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I also wonder why the season one only approach. It worries me that they will release a boxed set and I will have to rebuy Season One. Still, love the show, and it is great to see it again at such a good price!

Here is hoping they sell well enough to justify the release of the whole series!

Mike*SC

Second Unit
I just finished watching. What a great show! I remembered it fondly, but had forgotten how disarmingly funny it truly is. And the commentaries are hilarious, too! Bring on season two!!!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Also finished watching them. Can't wait for the next set.

Loved the Ray Romano commentary. A bit more blue than he normally is. Interesting for the talk about life after RAYMOND.

And one thing I DIDN'T know, and isn't even mentioned on the disc, is that Laura is Sarah Silverman's sister. In the middle of watching this I took a break and watched Sarah's JESUS IS MAGIC, and Laura is in it. I didn't even realize it was the same person until I didn't see her on the screen and heard her speak.

Now I'm going to have to get HOME MOVIES. Been meaning to pick that up for a while.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Another Jonathan Katz title I bought recently was Hopeless Pictures from the Independent Film Channel. Not sold in stores -- no UPC code - but it is sold direct from the ifc website. He again plays a therapist and he is again animated.

I was not aware of what he'd been up to over the past ten years but there is a downloadable edit of a show he performed in Davis Square, Somerville, on his official website that fills in a great deal about what he's been facing and also how he approaches comedy, etc.

His website:
http://www.jonathankatz.com/

Direct link to the downloadable mp3:
http://tinyurl.com/pydqt

I wish him very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks