What's new

Pre-Order Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) (Blu-ray) (Warner Archive Collection) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Kanny Daye

Grip
Real Name
Joseph Marten
Thanks for giving us the running time.

Before releasing this butchery on Blu-Ray, they shouldn't have released it at all and given another movie the Blu-Ray treatment instead.

You see what happens: George Feltenstein is absent for only half a year - and just everything breaks down :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprise as it's the only version those in the States have seen here.

Yeah, if the BD version is the cut that ran theatrically in the US, then it's the one WB would issue.

If the studio had released an "uncensored" cut in the US circa 1941 that didn't make the Blu-ray, then I get the argument.

But if this is the version that has always existed for US audiences, then it's the one we'd expect.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, if the BD version is the cut that ran theatrically in the US, then it's the one WB would issue.

If the studio had released an "uncensored" cut in the US circa 1941 that didn't make the Blu-ray, then I get the argument.

But if this is the version that has always existed for US audiences, then it's the one we'd expect.
Right, this isn't a situation like what happened to "The Sea Wolf" or even "Rachel and the Stranger" in which both films were cut after their theatrical releases for various reasons including double billed or television broadcast reasoning.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Right, this isn't a situation like what happened to "The Sea Wolf" or even "Rachel and the Stranger" in which both films were cut after their theatrical releases for various reasons including double billed or television broadcast reasoning.

I was thinking about the recent "Psycho" where (allegedly) the 2020 release offered the original theatrical cut that we'd not seen since the 60s.

One of the links speculates that the "German version" shows the original 1941 theatrical, but I don't know if anyone verified that.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It's still a missed opportunity. The "censored" footage could have been included as an extra.
I remember seeing the uncensored, international version in Puerto Rico as a child. No impressionable child could ever forget that graphic dream sequence.

Kanny Daye

Grip
Real Name
Joseph Marten
Due to the AFI, the correct original US release length in 24 fps was 127'27 (see above). A running time of 112'51 is of completely uncertain origin and no contemporary US censorship records for such a length are detectable. The film was most probably shortened throughout the years, possibly for re-releases in the 50s or footage get lost due to film film damage or else. It's a mystery why it has this strange length now. And its even a bigger mystery, why Warner goes back to edited materials for a Blu-Ray release, especially when its proven that at least the BFI has the full version. The current version does not represent the contemporary theatrical cut! So it's all about sloppiness not checking the available sources to offer the complete theatrical version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Due to the AFI, the correct original US release length in 24 fps was 127'27 (see above). A running time of 112'51 is of completely uncertain origin and no contemporary US censorship records for such a length are detectable. The film was most probably shortened throughout the years, possibly for re-releases in the 50s or footage get lost due to film film damage or else. It's a mystery why it has this strange length now. And its even a bigger mystery, why Warner goes back to edited materials for a Blu-Ray release, especially when its proven that at least the BFI has the full version. The current version does not represent the contemporary theatrical cut! So it's all about sloppiness not checking the available sources to offer the complete theatrical version.
That's your opinion that you have made abundantly clear to all here.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
It would be an idea for someone to reach out to George Feltenstein for what he knows about the running time issue and the reports of elements held by the BFI.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe any shortcomings with this release can unfortunately be chalked up to Covid.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even though I cancelled my pre-order, I'd love to hear George Feltenstein discuss this release on the podcast. The New York Post asked about the extra footage nearly 12 years to the day back in 2011 and was told "No Comment."

DVD Extra: 'Ambersons' on the way; maybe the uncensored '41 'Jekyll' too https://nypost.com/2011/05/13/dvd-extra-ambersons-on-the-way-maybe-the-uncensored-41-jekyll-too/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons
Why did you cancel your preorder? Have you seen the European Cut of the film?

Also, I believe that George Feltenstein talks about this release on the below linked podcast.

Richard M S

Screenwriter

Also, I believe that George Feltenstein talks about this release on the below linked podcast.

Well, I cannot afford to buy everything nor am I the beneficiary of reviewers copies, so I have to make cuts somewhere. WarnerArchive has those 3 Judy Garland films that are already pre-ordered, and another company is releasing many new-to-home video films, so they get priority. Plus I purchased the 1941 version on VHS, DVD and maybe even laser disc. So footage I have never seen before moves it up in the queue.

Tell me, since the running time is the same as the aforementioned releases, what made you decide to purchase it (if indeed you did - if not, just ignore the question.)

And thanks for the podcast link!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

You're right he did talk about this release and his take on it...it was a nice blog!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks